V12 distributor upgrade

Moderator:LJR

V12Smig

Member
Posts:134
Joined:Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:16 pm
V12 distributor upgrade

Postby V12Smig » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:52 pm

I saw once a photo of a V12 where the distributor cap (obviously contactless) was 2 banks of 6 outputs (for either side of the V) for the HT leads, with each HT lead going directly to its corresponding plug, this resulted in a much neater look without the leads criss crossing each other on the Round distributor cap. Does any one know where I can get me one of these...??

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: V12 distributor upgrade

Postby davidr » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:25 pm

I think you may be referring to the Marelli system which is slightly later than your 1988 engine. This is a completely different ignition system that does indeed operate the 2 banks separately with 2 coils and 2 arms on the rotor with contacts inside the dizzy cap on 2 levels. This will not be compatible with your current ignition system.
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

V12Smig

Member
Posts:134
Joined:Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: V12 distributor upgrade

Postby V12Smig » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:04 pm

Thanks David, looks like I have to stick with the mess then...

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: V12 distributor upgrade

Postby davidr » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:01 pm

On further reflection you may be thinking of the very late V12 fitted to the X300 that had a coil on plug ignition system?

V12Smig

Member
Posts:134
Joined:Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: V12 distributor upgrade

Postby V12Smig » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:10 am

I think it was a modified XJS, Australian I think, the guy had done loads of mods, basically everything attached to the engine was updated, I recall how slick the placement of the leads were..


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests