Page 1 of 1

Bespoke Trays

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:19 am
by Azure123
I made these trays because I discovered it was nigh on impossible to order retrospectively and fit genuine Jaguar trays on a SWB car. Moreover there was a major query as to whether my upper front seat frames would even accept Jaguar sub frames which the heart shaped tray fits to. I Sourced Jaguar brackets and the little drink inserts on e bay and purchased Burr Elm veneers from a company in the north east. The veneers were bonded using "Tight Bond" wood adhesive which is applied to the base boards and the veneer but allowed to dry and then ironed on. Really great stuff. The black seal is actually for boat hatches but was just what was needed to bridge the gap between the tray and seat back. Made from MDF, the only aspect of the work I had to out source was the lacquering and polishing which was done by a firm near Crewe by a chap who worked in the wood shop of Rolls Royce for 25 years. He did a great job to the same Rolls/Bentley standard. Being retired allows for these sort of projects which took me a couple of weeks to make and install. They get little to no use but filled my time until I was able to think of something else to do. I found some heart shaped business trays on e bay, bought them in haste and found out they would only fit a 350 model of XJ. Now I'm trying to sell them just to get my money back, no success so far. :)

Steve
Table 1.JPG
Picnic Tray
Table 6.JPG
Table 3.JPG

Re: Bespoke Trays

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:28 am
by robv12
beautiful!!, end of!!

Re: Bespoke Trays

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:54 am
by ptjs1
Steve,

Great job! If you have any pics and fancy doing it, I'm sure that would make a good little article for the magazine?

I'm feeling you have a good little cottage industry in the making with these tables and the jacking points!

Paul

Re: Bespoke Trays

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:26 am
by barrywi
And do you make picnics for the trays too?
Seriously professional work, well done.