Page 1 of 1
Removal of fascia wood to replace vents
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:48 pm
by Thixendale
Hi all,
The left and central air vents on my x350 are broken. I have acquired replacements but I was wondering if anyone knows of some idiot proof instructions on how to remove the wooden fascias and replace the vents.
Thanks in anticipation
Cheers
Tony
Re: Removal of fascia wood to replace vents
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:24 pm
by Norbertflyer
Wow. I'd like to hear the story of how those vents were broken.
Re: Removal of fascia wood to replace vents
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:41 pm
by Thixendale
Nothing exciting - the shiny plastic bit has snapped off the plastic vanes so can only direct the air up and down.
I said it wasn't exciting
Tony
Re: Removal of fascia wood to replace vents
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:26 pm
by ptjs1
Tony,
Drop me your email address via PM and I'll send you the electrical section of the workshop manual which explains how to remove those central vents.
Cheers
Paul
Re: Removal of fascia wood to replace vents
Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:45 pm
by Thixendale
An update.
Many thanks ptjs1 - the manual was brilliant.
I found it a bit scary levering the fascia veneer panels off and also removing the floor console, but following the instructions in the manual and taking my time and being methodical and the vents were replaced without drama.
I felt really pleased with myself as it was the first time I have done anything like that.
Thanks again ptjs1
Tony
Re: Removal of fascia wood to replace vents
Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:56 pm
by ptjs1
Tony,
Well done! I'm glad the manual was of help!
It's very satisfying dismantling trim parts, and then managing to fit them back without breaking those delicate clips and fastenings!
If you're thinking of attempting similar jobs, you'll find it really helpful to purchase a cheap trim removal tool set such as the attached link. They are really useful in protecting the integrity of clips and avoid damaging paint, veneer and trim.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/beseloa-Remova ... hdGY&psc=1
Cheers
Paul