Page 1 of 1

Front anti-roll bar bushes - ARB bushes

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:30 pm
by iRS
As a consolidation to most, my car has done over 200,000 and only now seems to need front ARB bushes - also known as D -bushes. The workshop manual says to support the engine weight from above and drop the front sub-frame a little to gain access. This is obviously a bit of a big job and I'm warned that the bolts can be seized making it an even worse job.

I've heard a rumour that someone in the trade can get to the bushes without dropping the sub frame. I don't know how. Has anyone here got any experience of this?

Re: Front anti-roll bar bushes - ARB bushes

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:03 pm
by iRS
I can answer my own question now. I got a whisper from a trusted contact in the trade who pointed me in the direction of Powerbell in Taplow. So during a trip south, I booked the car in and they were good to their word charging just an hour's labour charge and they even fitted the bushes (polys) I supplied, that I had bought a few months ago.

I don't know how they did it, even through I watched them from a distance. They did all the work from below without removing anything except a small bracket supporting the radiator. Two of them just got on and got the job done. Rather worryingly, midway through the job they told me they'd never done it before on a 350, but then they went on to say the cars that they had done before were diesels.

So, it proves it is possible to swap these bushes without dropping the subframe and its money well spent to have someone else have the pleasure of doing the job for you.

Powerbell: well recommended!

Re: Front anti-roll bar bushes - ARB bushes

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:55 am
by J44EAG
That is good to know, Roger.

I considered doing that job myself at one point. Getting down and under for inspection and attempting a trial "get `yer hands in" had me back up standing within a minute! It is certainly tight in that location. That you have got this job done and without dropping the sub-frame is good news. I wonder if further details might be gleaned from Powerbell?

A similar situation also exists at the rear ARB location. I`ve changed ARB bushes on an S-type and that did entail dropping the rear sub-frame one side at a time. Re-alignment then had to be actioned at a local tracking business. It isn`t a job that I would now willingly tackle due to back issues. My days of crawling around under a car are coming to an end.

Thanks for the update.

Mike

Re: Front anti-roll bar bushes - ARB bushes

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:42 pm
by iRS
Mike - thanks for that.

Yes, I'm dreading the rear end......

A couple of things I forgot to mention is that the bushes before changing actually appeared OK. I had tried to rattle the arb by getting hold of it and couldn't actually move it. I did a similar job on the wife's Mini in the summer and that ARB was clearly loose when grabbed a hold of. Also, the bushes look visually OK once removed. However, the results speak for themselves. The car is much quieter now and the suspension the best its ever been....nearly...just one more job to do......

Re: Front anti-roll bar bushes - ARB bushes

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:28 pm
by iRS
So an addendum to the above thread. The poly bushes started squeaking after a year or two and was driving me mad every time I drove over a bump. As it happened I had a pair of genuine Jaguar second hand bushes that I got with some other spares.

A few months ago when I was changing out the heater auxiliary pump, I noticed I could get access to the front ARBs through the engine bay with the expansion tank and other cooling hoses out of the way. There’s a steel u-shaped channel that runs side to side. The screws holding this can just about be removed allowing it to be moved just enough to get access to the ARB mounting screws. The other mounting screw is a little easier to access. With the screws out, the clamping bar can be removed, and the arb bushes manipulated off the bar. I think I did this from below. Then everything is put back in place.

All a bit fiddly, but squeak gone

The photos are not very good, but you should be able to just see the ARB clamps and screws. These are looking into the engine bay between the engine and the radiator.
IMG_0581.jpeg
IMG_0580.jpeg