Removing the vent cowl to screen panel and Top wishbone
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:23 pm
About to start overhauling the front suspension of my XJR 350 2004.
At this point I do not intend to remove the top wishbones as they are in good order.
But I assume it will be necessary to gain access to the inner fixings i.e. the nuts on the bolts of the inner bushes of the top wishbone when it comes to having the suspension setup again.
I can't see any reason why you can't access the offside wishbone nuts, the front being easily accessible and the rear through the removable cover to the brake fluid reservoir.
But the nearside appears to be more difficult the front wishbone nut again is accessible, but it appears you need to remove the vent cowling to screen panel together with the wipers and possibly the air intake box for the cabin air filter to get at it.
In trying a practice run all went well up until the point where the manual says to Pull the cowl from the screen.
Now I have pulled from one end as directed but it really does not want to move, I am concerned about damaging it and replacing it, so any advice would be appreciated.
If this is the only way to access the rear nearside top wishbone nut I am minded to cut an aperture in the front of the cabin are intake box for easier access by garage, then to cover it with a grommet or plastic pitch. But this would be easier with the cabin air intake box off
Regards Bill Dag
At this point I do not intend to remove the top wishbones as they are in good order.
But I assume it will be necessary to gain access to the inner fixings i.e. the nuts on the bolts of the inner bushes of the top wishbone when it comes to having the suspension setup again.
I can't see any reason why you can't access the offside wishbone nuts, the front being easily accessible and the rear through the removable cover to the brake fluid reservoir.
But the nearside appears to be more difficult the front wishbone nut again is accessible, but it appears you need to remove the vent cowling to screen panel together with the wipers and possibly the air intake box for the cabin air filter to get at it.
In trying a practice run all went well up until the point where the manual says to Pull the cowl from the screen.
Now I have pulled from one end as directed but it really does not want to move, I am concerned about damaging it and replacing it, so any advice would be appreciated.
If this is the only way to access the rear nearside top wishbone nut I am minded to cut an aperture in the front of the cabin are intake box for easier access by garage, then to cover it with a grommet or plastic pitch. But this would be easier with the cabin air intake box off
Regards Bill Dag