Dave
That's a beautiful machine.
Fantastic paintwork.
I've just got a 2003 black xjr thats very nice and hopefully might look as good as yours one day
X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
All the best
Chris
2003 XJR
1992 XJS
Chris
2003 XJR
1992 XJS
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
Here is mine after a mega clean up! It nearly killed me!
Thank goodness for clay bar, G3, water-less cleaner and easy wax!!
Mike
Thank goodness for clay bar, G3, water-less cleaner and easy wax!!
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
Hi Mike, I’m passing your way early Saturday evening if you fancy a quick pint, visiting my sister in Wallington. Not quite up to speed with using the this site so unable find contact details.
Regards Dave
Regards Dave
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
Saturday evening would be grand, Dave.
I`ve removed your contact details as a precaution against spammer or hacker intervention and will send you a conventional email. PM already sent.
Mike
I`ve removed your contact details as a precaution against spammer or hacker intervention and will send you a conventional email. PM already sent.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
<t>Hi All, General update on things, have now invested in a replacement front air shock from Air Dominance and will attempt the change over this weekend. The unit arrived the day after I placed the order, thanks Mike for the info, cost was about £400.00 with £100 refundable on the return of my old unit for re-generation, they collect. As you may of read from my earlier post, I hit a unmarked traffic island in the middle of the old kent road which terminated the 20" Castello wheel (Guy Salmon replacement, £600.) and suspected leaking seal on the suspension unit was the only other damage after their inspection. A further disappointment is that I will be putting this car up for sale shortly, after I have sorted a few minor issues e.g. drivers wing mirror not folding back etc. Can be viewed at https://www.flickr.com/photos/139439575 ... 5833245693. 44k miles, £18000, will advertise car on Jec website in due course.
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
Sorry to hear you are selling that magnificent car, Dave. What a cracker of an example.
For those not having seen Dave`s car, I can assure you it is a real belter. Just wish I had a few spare quid kicking around.
Mike K
For those not having seen Dave`s car, I can assure you it is a real belter. Just wish I had a few spare quid kicking around.
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
Thanks Mike, it’s purely because of finances that the car is on the market, if things pick up I’ll keep her, the joys of being self employed!
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
Dave,
Thete seems to be a problem with that link. You night want to look at it and repost.
Cheers
Paul
Thete seems to be a problem with that link. You night want to look at it and repost.
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
Thanks Paul, I'll sort that should I place the beauty officially for sale. apologies my posts are a bit off subject, I'll write more on the air shock change after the weekend and a few skinned knuckles 
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
If it was an unmarked traffic island that had either the hi-vis reflective stand or the illuminated plastic type missing then you may be entitled to a refund of some or all of your costs -- there's more than one traffic authority along there -- the Greater London Authority will tell you whether that island is one of there's (as it's designated an "A" road) or local borough (Southwark's or Lewisham's) responsibilityThanks Paul, I'll sort that should I place the beauty officially for sale. apologies my posts are a bit off subject, I'll write more on the air shock change after the weekend and a few skinned knuckles![]()
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
Hi Richard, Will post update at general info x350 section which is probably more appropriate for subject matter .
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
Hi All, Just finished replacing o/s front air strut with surprising ease. Mike's advice was invaluable, along with Arnott's you tube video showing the process. The only trouble I had was the torx size on the top ball joint, a size T30 was used but as the nut was nearing removal it tightened up and the T30 slipped not holding the anymore. I got around this by a strong pair of mole grips on the ball joint as there was room to insert them between the two brackets, plenty of wd40 and slight heat on the nut enabled its removal. The bottom strut bolt, T60 was only loosened by applying some heat to the welded square nut , it was not going to move cold. I then, to my surprise used a drift to knock the bolt through with no fuss at all, rusty and a new one purchased heeding Mike's advice again. Re-assembled all seems well although running the engine does not seem to lift the front which is very low. I'll check that after F1 qualifying. I did disconnect the battery before starting work. I suspect that the compressor isn't kicking in, checked all fuses, 40 amp in the engine fuse box. Air Dominance (re-conditioned OE strut supplier ) advise not to lower the full weight of the car unless the compressor is running although looking on youtube again, there is a vid with a jag as low as mine and raising up, I'll remove the jack and try that next. My code reader states circuit open from right front which seems to make sense.
XJRDave. PS. Plenty of spare T60 sockets, convinced I would snap some.
XJRDave. PS. Plenty of spare T60 sockets, convinced I would snap some.
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
Hi All, Returning to the car, lowered and removed the scissor jack, front very low, started the engine and moved the car a few paces then warning light up car too low, waited for compressor to compensate which it did but car looks a little lower on the new strut side, o/s/f . May need to look into how to adjust the ride height to lift o/s/f slightly ?
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
You may well have to look to having height parameters reset, Dave.
A good local garage, Jaguar Independent or dare I say it a Main Dealer should have suitable Autologic or WDS/IDS diagnostic kit which will allow intrusion into the suspension software for calibration. Adjustment is done electronically by adding or subtracting from the figure the car is currently running with. Hence being able to lower the suspension within sensible limits as indeed I have done. (15mm lower all round).
Before doing that though, I`d suggest taking a look at the clip on sensor which attaches to the drop arm off the chassis. It is very easy for that sensor to become damaged or again as I experienced, knocked off or the spring clip be broken or corroded through. If the clip is broken and the sensor hanging off the arm, a successful repair can be done with cable ties. Yes, guess what? The clip is only available with a new sensor! Getting that sensor right is important. Although the off side front sensor is redundant ( the near side sensor adjusts off side and near side front units with only very early cars having readings taken from both sensors) it does need to be mounted even as a dummy. I suppose that saved Jaguar a software re-write.
If you need a garage to help, Ray Brown at Surrey Jaguar Centre off Beddington Farm Lane at the bottom of the Purley Way, Croydon, could help you. It is only just around the corner from your relative in Wallington. Mention my name and that you are a JEC member.
Hope that helps.
Mike
A good local garage, Jaguar Independent or dare I say it a Main Dealer should have suitable Autologic or WDS/IDS diagnostic kit which will allow intrusion into the suspension software for calibration. Adjustment is done electronically by adding or subtracting from the figure the car is currently running with. Hence being able to lower the suspension within sensible limits as indeed I have done. (15mm lower all round).
Before doing that though, I`d suggest taking a look at the clip on sensor which attaches to the drop arm off the chassis. It is very easy for that sensor to become damaged or again as I experienced, knocked off or the spring clip be broken or corroded through. If the clip is broken and the sensor hanging off the arm, a successful repair can be done with cable ties. Yes, guess what? The clip is only available with a new sensor! Getting that sensor right is important. Although the off side front sensor is redundant ( the near side sensor adjusts off side and near side front units with only very early cars having readings taken from both sensors) it does need to be mounted even as a dummy. I suppose that saved Jaguar a software re-write.
If you need a garage to help, Ray Brown at Surrey Jaguar Centre off Beddington Farm Lane at the bottom of the Purley Way, Croydon, could help you. It is only just around the corner from your relative in Wallington. Mention my name and that you are a JEC member.
Hope that helps.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: X350/8 Air suspension unit replacement option.
Hi All, Once again thanks for your input Mike, its so reassuring knowing that knowledgeable people are willing to help and offer solutions that you can have confidence in, a good day when I joined the club. I'll have a look this morning for the sensor although I didn't see anything while changing the shock. I know of the Surrey Jag centre, bought a couple of 2nd hand ignition coils from them (£75) when my XJS V12 kept blowing it. I'll see if the car settles after a while and take it from there. One other thing I want to do is replace the water pump and belt. I'm only doing this as on start up cold, there's what sounds like a bearing squeak and noise, disappears when the engine is warm, no problems with the water system or cooling its just that "if" I offer the car for sale, it has to be right from start up. I have a suspicion that refilling the system has to be done via a vacuum pump as is the case on my BMW bike, hopefully not, conventional filling would suit? The drivers folding door mirror has been cured, I was going to fit a new one (£250) but plenty of WD40 cured the problem, happy days!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

