New Tyres
Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:31 pm
After hearing on the news this morning that snow is due to arrive on Wednesday, I decided that I really ought to check my tyres as we all know that x350s are not the market-leader in snow capability!
Well, the rears are on 1.6mm & 1.8mm. The fronts are on 3mm each but unfortunately the shock bushes that had worn earlier seemed to be the reason that the inner shoulders (or should I say, the inner 1/3 of the tyre!) had worn to zero.
So, it's four new tyres required. With the recent improvements in non-premium brand tyres, I have decided to try something other than the Pirellis or Continentals that I've previously fitted. I did toy with the idea of winter tyres but decided that I couldn't stomach the cost of a set of tyres and wheels now and then a new set of regular tyres in March.
I'd read some good reviews on the Kumho KU39 but I was put off by the noise rating of 74-76 decibels (depends which website you believe). In the end I've now ordered the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110. ( Has anyone tried them?) In 235/50 R18 101Y, I've got them for £145 each from Black Circle. They will be fitted by my preferred tyre fitter who has a nitrogen stuffer, balances from the inside and only uses a hand torque wrench for tightening. I had good experience of Hankooks on my Mini and they are now original fitment on some cars. And they also have the best combined rating of B for economy, B for wet driving and 70db for noise. A better rating overall than the Pirellis and the Continentals! Mind you, I do wonder if the rating system is really that accurate? Any thoughts?
I thought it was interesting that many of the non-premium brand tyres are not quite so cheap when you get to the larger sizes of tyres, such as those fitted to Jaguars. In the smaller sizes, some brands (not the really cheap ones) are not much more than 25% of the price of Pirellis, but for our cars, it's more like 65%-75% of the price.
So, they will be fitted on Wednesday, even though I suspect the car will still be undrivable if the snow is bad!
However, despite the good price, I bet that I won't get the 40,000 miles out of them that I've had out of the Continental Sport Contacts that they are replacing!
Paul
Well, the rears are on 1.6mm & 1.8mm. The fronts are on 3mm each but unfortunately the shock bushes that had worn earlier seemed to be the reason that the inner shoulders (or should I say, the inner 1/3 of the tyre!) had worn to zero.
So, it's four new tyres required. With the recent improvements in non-premium brand tyres, I have decided to try something other than the Pirellis or Continentals that I've previously fitted. I did toy with the idea of winter tyres but decided that I couldn't stomach the cost of a set of tyres and wheels now and then a new set of regular tyres in March.
I'd read some good reviews on the Kumho KU39 but I was put off by the noise rating of 74-76 decibels (depends which website you believe). In the end I've now ordered the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110. ( Has anyone tried them?) In 235/50 R18 101Y, I've got them for £145 each from Black Circle. They will be fitted by my preferred tyre fitter who has a nitrogen stuffer, balances from the inside and only uses a hand torque wrench for tightening. I had good experience of Hankooks on my Mini and they are now original fitment on some cars. And they also have the best combined rating of B for economy, B for wet driving and 70db for noise. A better rating overall than the Pirellis and the Continentals! Mind you, I do wonder if the rating system is really that accurate? Any thoughts?
I thought it was interesting that many of the non-premium brand tyres are not quite so cheap when you get to the larger sizes of tyres, such as those fitted to Jaguars. In the smaller sizes, some brands (not the really cheap ones) are not much more than 25% of the price of Pirellis, but for our cars, it's more like 65%-75% of the price.
So, they will be fitted on Wednesday, even though I suspect the car will still be undrivable if the snow is bad!
However, despite the good price, I bet that I won't get the 40,000 miles out of them that I've had out of the Continental Sport Contacts that they are replacing!
Paul