I thought I'd update this thread that I started a few years ago!
As mentioned, in 2012 I settled on the Continentals as a slightly cheaper alternative to my Pirelli's. And they only lasted......40,000 miles! 40,000 on a set of tyres with no discernible difference on front to back wear, I was really very impressed! I'm sure it's the light weight of the car, not my driving!
With all the recent changes in tyre technology and new brands around, I've now decided to go for a cheaper but still reasonably-branded make this time around. With pretty good ratings all round, I've gone for Hankook Evo Ventus to replace the Conti's. I had good experience with Hankook on my Mini and have also just fitted 2 to my XJS to replace the perished P6000s.
I'm not sure |'ll get 40,000 again, but after 5,000 miles already they do seem quiet and sure-footed so far.
Update due in 18 months......
Paul
Which tyres are you using?
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Which tyres are you using?
In this heat I am so tyred! ( no whisky maybe sunstroke)
My Pirelli P Zeros have been on from new ( 2007 car) and i have a new set ready to fit but am doing very few miles, so the tyres are going off in the garage. I have done 35000 miles so maybe it is time to fit the new ones?
350 is not allowed to go out to play in the snow , I doubt it would even get up our steep drive with even a hint of snow. Luckily none came this year though.
Just bought a brand new VW up which has four continental main tyres and one full sized Hankook as the spare. Better than a blow up can but still cheapskate.
My Pirelli P Zeros have been on from new ( 2007 car) and i have a new set ready to fit but am doing very few miles, so the tyres are going off in the garage. I have done 35000 miles so maybe it is time to fit the new ones?
350 is not allowed to go out to play in the snow , I doubt it would even get up our steep drive with even a hint of snow. Luckily none came this year though.
Just bought a brand new VW up which has four continental main tyres and one full sized Hankook as the spare. Better than a blow up can but still cheapskate.
Re: Which tyres are you using?
Barry,
These cheapskate" Hankooks are the manufacturers original tyre choice on new BMW 1 series, 3 series, 4 series, 5 series, the BMW Mini, the Mercedes S-class + a whole load of other manufacturer vehicles!
So maybe, your best tyre is the one sitting in the boot?!
Paul
PS Just to let you know, the wooden Dunlop Maxply isn't the world's best tennis racquet any more either!
These cheapskate" Hankooks are the manufacturers original tyre choice on new BMW 1 series, 3 series, 4 series, 5 series, the BMW Mini, the Mercedes S-class + a whole load of other manufacturer vehicles!
So maybe, your best tyre is the one sitting in the boot?!
Paul
PS Just to let you know, the wooden Dunlop Maxply isn't the world's best tennis racquet any more either!
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Which tyres are you using?
Ok I will cut it into four and bin the Continentals. Actually the Continentals are mostly gaps in the tread, maybe they will be good if it ever rains again. How is your back Paul?
Re: Which tyres are you using?
I note that ptjs1's Continentals, like the PZeros, have a solid band of rubber, no sipes, near the centre of the tread. I wonder if that is part of the explanation of both the long tyre life (less scrubbing because there's a band of less flexible rubber) and lousy snow grip (a band just like a toboggan runner).
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: Which tyres are you using?
Thought I'd spice up this thread with a tale of disappointment.
For the past few of weeks I've been running around in my newly purchased XJR with the most appalling tyres. It has Triangle TR968 on the rear and Achilles ATR Sport on the front.
It's like driving on slurry. Under steers and wheels spins everywhere. It's also got some terrible 20" rims which don't help in either comfort or looks.
I think my next challenge is to locate a set of 19" Sepang wheels and some decent tyres.
For the past few of weeks I've been running around in my newly purchased XJR with the most appalling tyres. It has Triangle TR968 on the rear and Achilles ATR Sport on the front.
It's like driving on slurry. Under steers and wheels spins everywhere. It's also got some terrible 20" rims which don't help in either comfort or looks.
I think my next challenge is to locate a set of 19" Sepang wheels and some decent tyres.
Re: Which tyres are you using?
A word of caution, I was told that Sepang wheels are expensive to refurbish due to their method of construction, but I am sure someone may have a different view. Tyres are really hard to choose as you dont really know what they will be like or how long they will last until you have them fitted. Another factor is asking other owners who may think they have the best tyre but maybe are persuaded by the fact that they want others to believe they have been clever in their own choice.
Life is far too complicated, but at least you have been honest in saying that your tyres are rubbish!
Life is far too complicated, but at least you have been honest in saying that your tyres are rubbish!
Re: Which tyres are you using?
Its not really that much `lucky dip` is it?
Most internet tyre sellers list their tyre offerings with loads of information. Indeed tyres when kept on depot racks have to include basic information by law. ie speed rating, wet grip, noise, stopping distances and so on. I have seen tread wear rating included also.
Lets face it. You get what you pay for. Jaguar send the cars out on premium tyres because they want a reliable vehicle for the first three years of its life whilst in a warranty situation. They don`t want warranty claims from blown tyres with inferior construction. So they fit the best tyres they can to keep the likelihood of claims to a minimum and keep their customers safe and sound on the road.
As a later user, if you put cheapo tyres on your chariot then you might also expect them to be less reliable than a premium tyre both in structural reliability and in handling ability, particularly in the wet. Budget tyres might not be as reliable as premium tyres made by a manufacturer with a high reputation to protect. The advice of a decent tyre supplier is always worth its weight in gold and will be able to steer you away from the dodgy brands. As we have often debated, ensure you stick rigidly to fitting the correct speed rating for your car. That is the first thing an insurance assessor looks at in the event of an accident.
I appreciate there are many cheapish tyres out there that may be quite well made and suitable for the purpose. Some may have strange names and emanate from far off foreign lands. Whether you chose to fit such products is down to you as the end user to decide whether they are suitable for your personal use. There is a mass of information on different brands of tyres on the internet so finding out whether a particular tyre is suitable for your car should not be difficult. In no way is it a magical mystery tour. It just takes time, thought, a spread sheet and some personal effort.
If in doubt, fit what the manufacturer fitted to the car then sleep easy at night.
I found myself faced with a tyre choice option recently. £86 for a cheapo, £120 for a Nexon.....a brand I have run without handling issues for years but high wear rates or £169 for a premium Avon which I know will last twice as long as a Nexon. I bought the Nexon as my tyres are low profile and few in my ownership are likely to last more than two years before becoming damaged by road junk or a pothole.
Caveat emptor as always.
Mike K
Most internet tyre sellers list their tyre offerings with loads of information. Indeed tyres when kept on depot racks have to include basic information by law. ie speed rating, wet grip, noise, stopping distances and so on. I have seen tread wear rating included also.
Lets face it. You get what you pay for. Jaguar send the cars out on premium tyres because they want a reliable vehicle for the first three years of its life whilst in a warranty situation. They don`t want warranty claims from blown tyres with inferior construction. So they fit the best tyres they can to keep the likelihood of claims to a minimum and keep their customers safe and sound on the road.
As a later user, if you put cheapo tyres on your chariot then you might also expect them to be less reliable than a premium tyre both in structural reliability and in handling ability, particularly in the wet. Budget tyres might not be as reliable as premium tyres made by a manufacturer with a high reputation to protect. The advice of a decent tyre supplier is always worth its weight in gold and will be able to steer you away from the dodgy brands. As we have often debated, ensure you stick rigidly to fitting the correct speed rating for your car. That is the first thing an insurance assessor looks at in the event of an accident.
I appreciate there are many cheapish tyres out there that may be quite well made and suitable for the purpose. Some may have strange names and emanate from far off foreign lands. Whether you chose to fit such products is down to you as the end user to decide whether they are suitable for your personal use. There is a mass of information on different brands of tyres on the internet so finding out whether a particular tyre is suitable for your car should not be difficult. In no way is it a magical mystery tour. It just takes time, thought, a spread sheet and some personal effort.
If in doubt, fit what the manufacturer fitted to the car then sleep easy at night.
I found myself faced with a tyre choice option recently. £86 for a cheapo, £120 for a Nexon.....a brand I have run without handling issues for years but high wear rates or £169 for a premium Avon which I know will last twice as long as a Nexon. I bought the Nexon as my tyres are low profile and few in my ownership are likely to last more than two years before becoming damaged by road junk or a pothole.
Caveat emptor as always.
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Which tyres are you using?
Absolutely. Unfortunately these grotty things were on the car when I bought it hence my desire to replace them with proper tyres.
However, I don't want these 20" wheels either so need to find a sensible wheel to put the proper rubber on
Rob
However, I don't want these 20" wheels either so need to find a sensible wheel to put the proper rubber on
Rob
Re: Which tyres are you using?
to start with Sepangs are 20 inch!!!, they look the business I agree, but are a real pain to refurbish, often impossible to get the rim ring off rendering the wheel u/s
my advice of years of XJR 350 miles, 100's of thousands, is to go for 19 inch, Sabre, Custom or Performance, fit good quality tyres, Dunlop and Michelin are favourite in my book, keep the pressures correct and watch for front tyre inner edge scrubbing and you will get 35.45K miles out of a set with ease
hope this helps
my advice of years of XJR 350 miles, 100's of thousands, is to go for 19 inch, Sabre, Custom or Performance, fit good quality tyres, Dunlop and Michelin are favourite in my book, keep the pressures correct and watch for front tyre inner edge scrubbing and you will get 35.45K miles out of a set with ease
hope this helps
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
Re: Which tyres are you using?
Ok, not Sepangs thento start with Sepangs are 20 inch!!!, they look the business I agree, but are a real pain to refurbish, often impossible to get the rim ring off rendering the wheel u/s
my advice of years of XJR 350 miles, 100's of thousands, is to go for 19 inch, Sabre, Custom or Performance, fit good quality tyres, Dunlop and Michelin are favourite in my book, keep the pressures correct and watch for front tyre inner edge scrubbing and you will get 35.45K miles out of a set with ease
hope this helps
What model are these wheels? I've been unlucky with google so far, and Jaguar's site only lists current models.
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/attac ... 1364865626
I think that car looks good, other than the nose piercing.
Thanks
Rob
Re: Which tyres are you using?
I am pretty sure they are Performance wheels like the ones on my 350 diesel. My car has 19 inch wheels and I actually prefer the look to Sepangs that people rave about, but everybody has different tastes. One major factor to me is ease of cleaning...forget the wheels with loads of fiddly bits.
Re: Which tyres are you using?
not sure on the USA wheels in the pic, but Barry's car does indeed wear 19 inch performance, original fit to 350 XJR at launch
have a look here for other ideas
http://www.sbwheels.co.uk/
Steve Gray who runs SB, is a great guy and JEC member , only does Jaguar alloys, give him a call
have a look here for other ideas
http://www.sbwheels.co.uk/
Steve Gray who runs SB, is a great guy and JEC member , only does Jaguar alloys, give him a call
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
Re: Which tyres are you using?
Almost, but not quite. On the ones I'm looking for, the pairs of spokes are parallel.
As this thread is supposed to be about tyres, for safety's sake I'm going to replace the bands of death with a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 on the existing wheels.
The quest for the wheels I want continues.
Thanks
Rob
As this thread is supposed to be about tyres, for safety's sake I'm going to replace the bands of death with a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 on the existing wheels.
The quest for the wheels I want continues.
Thanks
Rob
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

