Which tyres are you using?

Moderators:Popsjag, J44EAG

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent
Which tyres are you using?

Postby ptjs1 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:21 pm

I need to get some new tyres for my 4.2 SE. It's currently running on Pirelli Powergy 235/50 ZR18 97W. They've been pretty good and I've got Pirellis on both my XJs and X308, but I've also heard reasonable comments from 350 owners using Continentals and even some of the well-rated non-premium tyres.

I'd appreciate any feedback from owners on what they have fitted to their 350s. At the risk of being ungrateful, I don't really want to hear what people are using on their X-Types, Mercedes etc. I'd just like to hear what 18" tyres members are using on 350s, how they feel about the roadholding and tyre noise and what sort of price they paid.

Tks for any input.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

barrywi

Member
Posts:263
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby barrywi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:20 am

I bought some Pirelli P Zeros just after buying the car but am doing so few miles they are just stored in the garage waiting for my Pirellis ( P Zeros)on the car to wear out. They cost less than new ones which are over £200 each.
Since buying them I have seen people being very enthusiastic about Falkens, saying that they are as good around corners but slightly quieter. It is however all a bit subjective and it is too late after you have bought them to send back if you don't like them!
I have 19 inch wheels and though they look good I would have prefered 18 inch ones as the tyres on them give a quieter better ride. I do not scorch around corners so ride is more important to me than premier road holding.
If you are like me in driving habits don't bother with a premier make. I have also heard stories about Pirellis causing problems before they wear out the treads.

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby robv12 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:30 pm

I used Pirelli P Zero Rossos on both my 350's, however I cannot comment on price as being a cheapskate I trawl the internet for nearly new part worns, my last five cost me less than 200 quid delivered here, add 40 quid for removing old tyres fitting the nrew ones and balancing, bargain I would suggest

The Pirellis seem to do the job for us, Mrs J is a sedate and low mileage driver, most of my time behind the wheel is on the motorways at a sensible speed. I can tell you the wear rate with these tyres on a 350 is amazingly low, tramlining as per 300 and 308 is non existant, road noise may be a little harsh if being very picky

I would suggest the tyres we have on the car now will still be on it in 30K miles, so good value

In summing up, go for Pirellis
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby ptjs1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:01 pm

After using the car for a few more weeks and racking up the miles, all four tyres had worn below the legal limit, so I finally had to make the decision.

I searched for good used Pirellis with a minimum of 5.5mm but couldn't get four at reasonable money. I could have gone for V rated tyres but decided that I'd really feel happier with the original load and speed rating, in which case there are very few choices. A chat with my tyre man about the relative benefits and prices of the Pirellis vs the Contis and I ended up putting on 4 Continental Conti Sport Contact 2, balanced and filled with Nitrogen, at about £192 a corner.

Obviously too early to say anything on wear, but road noise level is certainly as good as the worn Pirellis and handling seems fine.

Will report back in 30,000 miles.....

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby J44EAG » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:21 pm

I had a set of Conti Sport Contacts on a chipped and moded 2.9 4X4 Sierra, Paul.

Not only did they hang on when other tyres would let go, but they were nearly indestructible. They were probably the best performing and value set of tyres I`ve ever fitted and driven. A nice choice I think.

I hope you have a similar experience. For choice, I`d certainly go in that direction again.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

stuarthardy

Member
Posts:488
Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
Location:North Shropshire

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby stuarthardy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:15 am

Why did you get the nitrogen fill?

It seems that more and more people are being sold nitrogen when there is no real point in using it on the road. What happens when you need to re-inflate?

Regards
Stuart

1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby ptjs1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:42 am

Stuart,

My tyre man fills all tyres with Nitrogen ever since he installed a Nitrogen stuffer about 10 years ago. I think his theory is that, having installed it, the incremental cost of running it is negligible. Would I pay him extra if there was a choice? I'm not sure. But it's just how he fills all the tyres. If I hadn't got talking to him the first time, I wouldn't even have known he was doing it.

He gets a lot of racing and bike enthusiasts bringing their vehicles to him, particluarly before races or track days. I understand that Nitrogen is much less prone to pressure variation in use (does pure nitrogen heat up less than air?) and also that it is less prone to leakage (not sure if that's just apocryphal, or based on science?).

I agree that once you start topping up tyres with air you would lose the benefit. However, I do seem to top up my tyres much less on all my cars and bikes ever since I've been going to him for my tyre changes.

The other great thing about him is that he always uses rim protectors when removing the tyres, never breaks the retaining tangs on my centre caps and always uses a torque wrench rather than air gun for tightening my wheel nuts! It's those things that really sell him to me (plus the fact that he's always managed to beat any other price quotes that I have!).

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

barrywi

Member
Posts:263
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby barrywi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:50 am

If you fill up your tyres with Helium it would reduce the weight of the car and would probably save fuel ...er.......perhaps?
OR...if we all used Carbon Dioxide it would save all the Polar Bears and little cuddly things on the planet.
Actually it would be interesting ( well to me anyway) to try different gases in tyres and try and see whether there is a difference. Hydrogen would be good as you could fuel a barbecue from the gas in your spare tyre.
Superman uses Krypton in his tyres I believe, though he probably does not use it much as he can fly like Santa Claus and Angels.

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:47 pm

Barry,
I should try putting a bit more water with it in future! :twisted:

Jeff.
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

barrywi

Member
Posts:263
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby barrywi » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:02 pm

The worrying part is that I was completely sober when I wrote the post. Life is too short to be serious all the time!!! :lol:

A19KEV

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby A19KEV » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:58 pm

This season, I will be mostly wearing: Pirelli. Well at least the Jag will.
Actually, when I took delivery of my used Jag from the dealer's I was pleased to see they had put a complete set of new tyres on it. I hadn't a clue what make they were, just knew that was a lot of money.
However, during a long journey back from Surrey at Christmas one of the new tyres blew out. Then just last month, after no impact that I could recall, or anything untoward, another tyre developed a dangerous-looking and sinister bulge in the wall. A curious friend at work noted: 'Ah, was it the same side where your girlfriend sits; the passenger side?' Oh dear, I have to say it was, although I didn't pass on that query to my Fiancé, for obvious reasons. Trying to avoid the battery-like term - 'heavy duty', don't you know..
I'm sure we all remember the advert with the 'Michelin Man' (or woman?..)

Anyway, that's two Nexen tyres that have completely failed. Could just be bad luck, but I'm not using them again, and in both cases had fitted the following:
PIRE 25540ZR19 96Y
PZERO ASIMMETRICO.
You might have to disregard that last stanza; it could have been me ordering a fancy cup of coffee; or maybe it was Mr Pirelli's first name, who knows.
As for tyre pressures, the manual seemed to give, like..millions of situations: hot, not so hot, cooling down, heating up again, oven-ready..microwaved..lost on the motorway in Lancashire, where the M6 is cobbled.
Couldn't find an entry for 'cold' ie having been static; which is how I prefer to do the readings.

Well, Sunday's trip out is to Richmond in North Yorkshire. Eee, by gum! 44 miles from here, so there's half a tank gone. And tonight's quiz question : why is Scotch Corner called Scotch Corner?
Answers on an old tyre please. And tread carefully, 'mind how you go', as Jack Warner used to say.
Ah, the days before speed cameras; engine management units; et cetera. 'Hands free'? Well that was when you stopped in a layby with, what the CB radio-speak called your 'seat cover'.

Anyway, have to go. Look at Life Again Soon.
Cheers,
Kev :D
2008 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign 2.7 Tdvi twin turbo diesel

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby J44EAG » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:17 pm

I`ve run Nexens for many years. Never had a single issue with them and I can be pretty cruel on a car.

Wear rates are moderate compared to a pair of Avons I have on the back. They seem almost indestructible but were around £45 more per tyre than a Nexen.

For longevity and brand name safety, I would think the Avon a more reliable tyre.

Lets face it. Tyres can take a hell of a beating in service. Potholes, kerbs, raised manhole covers, road junk and unseen obstructions. Not a nice life to look forward too.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

A19KEV

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby A19KEV » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Absolutely agree. To be a tyre, must be the ghastliest job in the world. In fact if I had to come back as an auto part, I'd be a Webber Carburettor. Someone who drank like a fish in the 60's, yep that would be me. But now I just fuel-inject it.
Cheers,
Kev :D
2008 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign 2.7 Tdvi twin turbo diesel

User avatar
GordonJ
Posts:361
Joined:Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 pm
Location:Doncaster. South Yorkshire

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby GordonJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:47 am

Or to give it, it's proper name "Whisky Corner" Having read your posts, I'm sure you will know where I am coming from.

Gordon
XJ6 X350 Sovereign
Chairman. Doncaster and District Region
Email. doncaster.district@gmail.com
Previous Jaguars.
XJ8 Sovereign in Seafrost
S Type in Red

PaulGover

Member
Posts:824
Joined:Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location:Near Banbury, England

Re: Which tyres are you using?

Postby PaulGover » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:37 am

FWIW, I'm using the Pirelli PZeros that came with the car when I bought it three years ago. They weren't new then, and about 25,000 miles later they still have about 4mm tread. Nigel Thorley's article in the magazine a few months back said his lasted for an incredible time, and it looks like mine will do so too. So, despite the price, they're probably cost-effective. As long as you don't drive in snow. Then they're appalling, might as well have skates.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest