!!! WARNING!!! Flexi brake pipe failures. Naturally aspirated models.
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:31 pm
Guys,
I received an email from Mike H this morning which included a copy mail from a friend and fellow JEC member. It concerned the failure of a front flexible rubber brake pipe on a "small brake" model X350. Fortunately, the failure of the flexi pipe occurred whilst the car was on the rollers for an MOT. The naturally aspirated cars have the small brakes. "Big brake" XJR and Super V8 models are unaffected by this issue. Below is an extract from the mail I sent Mike H by return.
"This failure of rubber flexi brake pipes on "small brake" models is indeed disconcerting to say the least. The fact that the car in question has covered just 67K miles makes it even more of an issue. I`ll flag up the problem on the Club web site. Inspection at yearly intervals would be prudent.
The flexi issue highlighted on "small brake" naturally aspirated cars does not exist on "big brake supercharged cars ie XJR and Super V8 models. Dependent on model year, these cars have either Brembo or Teves four piston calipers together with stainless steel braided, thin wall flexi pipes. This is highly advantageous as it affords the pipes with abrasion protection and also contains the thin wall rubber pipe within. It is an excellent "big brake" modification which also helps control pipe expansion under heavy braking application. I have it in mind that it may well be possible to retro fit these XJR type pipes to small brake models.
The pipe comes with a mounting bracket which fixes to the horizontal chassis leg. The steel brake pipe from the modulator unit screws into the end of the bracket. At the caliper end of the braided end, I recall there is a typical pipe banjo with copper washers either side. A hollow hex headed trunion fitted through the washers and banjo affords brake fluid flow to the caliper. I see no reason why the XJR braided hoses could not be retro-fitted to "small brake" models although anyone considering such a conversion should check end fitting suitability before buying XJR type pipes for conversion".
So a heads up here for owners of small brake vehicles which includes S-type and XF models which also have identical brake components.
Mike K
I received an email from Mike H this morning which included a copy mail from a friend and fellow JEC member. It concerned the failure of a front flexible rubber brake pipe on a "small brake" model X350. Fortunately, the failure of the flexi pipe occurred whilst the car was on the rollers for an MOT. The naturally aspirated cars have the small brakes. "Big brake" XJR and Super V8 models are unaffected by this issue. Below is an extract from the mail I sent Mike H by return.
"This failure of rubber flexi brake pipes on "small brake" models is indeed disconcerting to say the least. The fact that the car in question has covered just 67K miles makes it even more of an issue. I`ll flag up the problem on the Club web site. Inspection at yearly intervals would be prudent.
The flexi issue highlighted on "small brake" naturally aspirated cars does not exist on "big brake supercharged cars ie XJR and Super V8 models. Dependent on model year, these cars have either Brembo or Teves four piston calipers together with stainless steel braided, thin wall flexi pipes. This is highly advantageous as it affords the pipes with abrasion protection and also contains the thin wall rubber pipe within. It is an excellent "big brake" modification which also helps control pipe expansion under heavy braking application. I have it in mind that it may well be possible to retro fit these XJR type pipes to small brake models.
The pipe comes with a mounting bracket which fixes to the horizontal chassis leg. The steel brake pipe from the modulator unit screws into the end of the bracket. At the caliper end of the braided end, I recall there is a typical pipe banjo with copper washers either side. A hollow hex headed trunion fitted through the washers and banjo affords brake fluid flow to the caliper. I see no reason why the XJR braided hoses could not be retro-fitted to "small brake" models although anyone considering such a conversion should check end fitting suitability before buying XJR type pipes for conversion".
So a heads up here for owners of small brake vehicles which includes S-type and XF models which also have identical brake components.
Mike K