Gearbox/DSC/ABS faults
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:22 pm
Recently I went shopping after a long COVID-19 gap, so the car's battery was nearly flat - though it did start. Then at traffic lights I decided to put the car into Park rather than Neutral (not sure why I did that, something to do with rust in the cranium
), and moved the gear stick rather fast. And as I drove off, I got a load of instrument panel warnings cycling through Gearbox, ABS and DSC faults, with the gearbox going into limp-home mode.
I have a Foxwell diagnostic box, so I plugged it in and found the following codes:
C003A-07/1 rear RH speed sensor signal out of range;
P0720 output speed sensor malfunction;
P0730 Incorrect gear ratio;
P0735 5th gear ratio incorrect (too little Tiff Needell?);
P0701 combination of something (I can't read my writing, but the gearbox is implausible); and
also errors concerning the steering wheel position sensor and the yaw detector.
(I see similar reports on the forums, but not with all these symptom codes listed, so I put them here for completeness.)
Digging about online it all results from the failed RH speed sensor. It appears the gearbox relies on its signal to work out how fast the output shaft is turning and together with the other sensors whether the car is turning. Since the signal had gone, it seems to decide the RH wheel is stopped, so (a) the car is turning right despite the steering wheel and yaw sensors saying it's going straight on, and (b) the back axle is turning too slowly so the gears have stripped all their teeth or the clutches are slipping. You'd have thought I might have realized it was the sensor that was duff rather than the steering and yaw and gearbox all failing simultaneously. Whatever ...
I bought a new sensor (£50); dead easy to replace - remove the rear wheel, undo one screw, unplug old sensor. It appears to have cured the problem.
The only bit I don't understand is why moving to Park too quickly seemed to trigger the problem. There were slight symptoms before - a occasional lumpy gear change, but no warning lights.
I have a Foxwell diagnostic box, so I plugged it in and found the following codes:
C003A-07/1 rear RH speed sensor signal out of range;
P0720 output speed sensor malfunction;
P0730 Incorrect gear ratio;
P0735 5th gear ratio incorrect (too little Tiff Needell?);
P0701 combination of something (I can't read my writing, but the gearbox is implausible); and
also errors concerning the steering wheel position sensor and the yaw detector.
(I see similar reports on the forums, but not with all these symptom codes listed, so I put them here for completeness.)
Digging about online it all results from the failed RH speed sensor. It appears the gearbox relies on its signal to work out how fast the output shaft is turning and together with the other sensors whether the car is turning. Since the signal had gone, it seems to decide the RH wheel is stopped, so (a) the car is turning right despite the steering wheel and yaw sensors saying it's going straight on, and (b) the back axle is turning too slowly so the gears have stripped all their teeth or the clutches are slipping. You'd have thought I might have realized it was the sensor that was duff rather than the steering and yaw and gearbox all failing simultaneously. Whatever ...
I bought a new sensor (£50); dead easy to replace - remove the rear wheel, undo one screw, unplug old sensor. It appears to have cured the problem.
The only bit I don't understand is why moving to Park too quickly seemed to trigger the problem. There were slight symptoms before - a occasional lumpy gear change, but no warning lights.