Intermittent Sticky J gate

Moderators:Popsjag, J44EAG

Showman89

Moderator
Posts:13
Joined:Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 pm
Intermittent Sticky J gate

Postby Showman89 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:12 pm

I recently purchased my first X350 and I'm very much enjoying the experience, but just one small thing is annoying me a little.

Occasionally, the shifter is hard to get out of P - once it's out of P, it moves through the gate with ease. It takes a few attempts before it eventually comes out of P - this doesn't happen consistently.

Its booked in for a gearbox service on Friday, so is there anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks :D
1990 XJ6 4.0 Regency Red G560 HOA
2004 XJ8 3.5 SE Zircon LT04 NBL
1991 Ford Granada 2.0 GL

1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe CGE 672S (sold)
1999 Daimler V8 Pacific Blue V330 DVF (Sold)

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Intermittent Sticky J gate

Postby J44EAG » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:08 pm

I have this issue and that has been the case for several years. The problem usually occurs if I`ve not used the car for a while and battery voltage is low.

The secret is simply to push the selector lever over to the left whilst it is in "Park" and hold it in that position until you feel a small and almost imperceptible click transmitted up the selector to the gear knob in your palm. It only usually takes a few seconds for the click to occur, after which you can pull the selector through Reverse to Neutral and then to Drive.

OK, its a bit worrying but not the end of the World. A few seconds patience with the gear stick held over to the left usually gets you on the move again....I`d also suggest a battery drop test to confirm battery condition.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

Showman89

Moderator
Posts:13
Joined:Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Re: Intermittent Sticky J gate

Postby Showman89 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 pm

I have this issue and that has been the case for several years. The problem usually occurs if I`ve not used the car for a while and battery voltage is low.

The secret is simply to push the selector lever over to the left whilst it is in "Park" and hold it in that position until you feel a small and almost imperceptible click transmitted up the selector to the gear knob in your palm. It only usually takes a few seconds for the click to occur, after which you can pull the selector through Reverse to Neutral and then to Drive.

OK, its a bit worrying but not the end of the World. A few seconds patience with the gear stick held over to the left usually gets you on the move again....I`d also suggest a battery drop test to confirm battery condition.

Mike K
Once again, thanks for the invaluable advice Mike.

The battery is brand new on the car- however I imagine the battery was fitted without a full charge before hand, so I'd be interested to know what state of charge it has.

Henry
1990 XJ6 4.0 Regency Red G560 HOA
2004 XJ8 3.5 SE Zircon LT04 NBL
1991 Ford Granada 2.0 GL

1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe CGE 672S (sold)
1999 Daimler V8 Pacific Blue V330 DVF (Sold)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests