Door mirror puddle lamps

Moderators:Popsjag, J44EAG

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool
Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby andypryce » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:26 pm

Hi, having just replaced both wing mirrors on my 2006 XJR I have 2 working mirror puddle lamps if anyone wants them, as the new mirrors came with new ones built in. These are easy to replace without removing anything. PM me if you want them, would put them on eBay but too much hassle...

Andy
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

Norbertflyer

Member
Posts:61
Joined:Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby Norbertflyer » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:33 pm

How easy are the puddle lamps in the door wing mirrors to replace? My passenger puddle lamp isn't lighting up and I was hoping to take a look, but I've no idea how to get at them. Any help is most welcome. Richard.

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby andypryce » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:24 pm

Hi Richard,

I honestly can't remember! But I suspect they just prise out from beneath the mirror casing. Hopefully someone who still has an X350 will know.
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

Norbertflyer

Member
Posts:61
Joined:Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby Norbertflyer » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:26 pm

Thanks Andy, I might have a go at taking off the mirror in first instance to check the wiring. Richard

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby andypryce » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:58 pm

They were definitely easy to remove, I do remember that much :D
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby ptjs1 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:59 am

Richard,

Not sure if they are the same on the later x358 models, but see my thread here on cleaning the corrosion and dismantling the mirror on an earlier x350:

viewtopic.php?f=280&t=8341

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

Norbertflyer

Member
Posts:61
Joined:Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby Norbertflyer » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:03 pm

Thanks Andy and Paul. The mirror did come out relatively easily, I think the mirrors on my X350 are the same as the ones in your pictures in that article. I can't seem to wiggle the puddle lamps out at the moment, but I'll take another look tomorrow. Cheers Richard.

Norbertflyer

Member
Posts:61
Joined:Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby Norbertflyer » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:21 pm

Wiggling side to side worked to free the puddle lamp housing. The bulb is dead, so I might take the opportunity to swap out both sides with LED versions. I think a pair is only £20.

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby andypryce » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:41 pm

Good idea, brighter light too
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby ptjs1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:08 pm

Richard,

Assuming you'll have the inevitable awful alloy corrosion, clean all that out whilst you're in there.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

Norbertflyer

Member
Posts:61
Joined:Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby Norbertflyer » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:58 pm

Hopefully, it'll be a more useful light than the dull yellow light which is working on the driver's side.

Couldn't believe how much "crud" was sitting in the puddle light surround. This must be from chemicals in modern car wash solvents reacting with the aluminium? A thorough clean was performed and a good oiling afterwards.

Richard

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby andypryce » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:23 pm

Yes it's not the greatest design ever...
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

Norbertflyer

Member
Posts:61
Joined:Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby Norbertflyer » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:14 pm

Unfortunately the replacement led puddle lights are not the same type as the ones on my 2004 X350.
IMG_20220921_182535.jpg
I'll have to return these, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get direct led replacements for this style. Richard

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby andypryce » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:45 pm

What a pain.
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

Norbertflyer

Member
Posts:61
Joined:Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Re: Door mirror puddle lamps

Postby Norbertflyer » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:30 pm

PS - managed to get the old NS puddle light working after swapping out one of the thin leads which had presumably broken, with some delicate soldering. So, it wasn't the bulb which I believed had broken.....

I can't find any LED replacements for the type of puddle lights on my motor.

Richard


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest