Blink & you'll miss it!
I had the message DSC NOT AVAILABLE along with an amber warning light & the Traction Control symbol on a very short journey this morning,since then nothing,anybody experienced this before please guys & have any idea what could cause problems in this department?
Re: Blink & you'll miss it!
Yes. The most likely causes are 1) a wheel sensor about to fail or 2) a bad connection to a wheel sensor or 3) excessive build up of rust on the slotted ring underneath the sensor tip. Rust can also cause similar error messages (can be cleaned with a stiff wire brush) but check that the ring has not been cracked by pressure from the rust (rust is amazingly strong as it expands!)
I've had to replace both rear sensors in turn now after 127K miles. They are easy to get to once you take the wheel off. Also check for rust on the slotted ring. If you have diagnostic gear it should have set a code which will tell you which side is giving the problem, even if not currently faulty. Mine failed solidly each time however, so definitely not a bad connection. A bad sensor will also give 'Cruise Not Available' too. Sensors can't easily be tested, e.g. with a normal digital test meter, because they are Hall-effect devices - they will read open circuit even when good. If you find a sensor failure don't buy the Jaguar part at £extortionate, buy OEM ones from SNG Barratt for about £60 from recent memory.
I've had to replace both rear sensors in turn now after 127K miles. They are easy to get to once you take the wheel off. Also check for rust on the slotted ring. If you have diagnostic gear it should have set a code which will tell you which side is giving the problem, even if not currently faulty. Mine failed solidly each time however, so definitely not a bad connection. A bad sensor will also give 'Cruise Not Available' too. Sensors can't easily be tested, e.g. with a normal digital test meter, because they are Hall-effect devices - they will read open circuit even when good. If you find a sensor failure don't buy the Jaguar part at £extortionate, buy OEM ones from SNG Barratt for about £60 from recent memory.
Brian
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
Re: Blink & you'll miss it!
Thanks for that Brian,I see you have the same model as mine although a year older mine has only just passed the 57k mark,good job I love the car as I have had more repair jobs to do on it in 5 years than my other car which I have had for 18 years,the joys of motoring!

Re: Blink & you'll miss it!
Thanks for that Brian,I see you have the same model as mine although a year older mine has only just passed the 57k mark,good job I love the car as I have had more repair jobs to do on it in 5 years than my other car which I have had for 18 years,the joys of motoring!/color]
Re: Blink & you'll miss it!
Is this after a period without using the car? I get a variety of message displayed immediately after starting if I've not used it for about 10 days - it's the ECUs' way of saying the battery voltage dropped too far 'cos of the cranking current. (I probably ought to replace the battery, this one's something like 6-8 years old.)
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: Blink & you'll miss it!
I must admit that the car will often sit for a few days without use now we are both retired,must keep an eye on that especially w hen the weather gets colder,cheers guys!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

/color]