Coolant Leak

Moderators:Popsjag, J44EAG

dougmead2004338

Member
Posts:25
Joined:Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:05 pm
Coolant Leak

Postby dougmead2004338 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:49 pm

I noticed a small coolant leak under the XJ8 after I parked it at work, on my return (14:00 Hrs) it was what I would call a puddle so I called the RAC.
Eight hours later! One of their trusted contractors showed up, it was dark, armed with a phone light he told me it definitely was not the water pump but he could not make a repair. We checked the coolant level, and it was a little low so I topped it up, I then travelled 2 miles home. I checked the level in the morning and set off to the garage. They, later that day told me it was the water pump and they replaced it. A week later I picked up the car and was told to keep an eye on the coolant level which I did religiously. Day 2 the top hose had collapsed, and the fluid level was low, so I topped it up and expelled as much air as possible. Took the car back to the garage and told them there was an airlock in the system. They have now replaced the thermostat, after another week of not having the XJ8 but the heater does not work once you stop.
Today he tells me it is becoming an uneconomical repair! The XJ was running perfect along with the heater prior to the water pump change.
Has anyone had a similar problem with an airlock?

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: Coolant Leak

Postby andypryce » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:50 pm

Does sound like an airlock. Run it up to temp with heater and a/c on, then let it cool and top it up again, doing this repeatedly should get rid of any airlocks. I presume it’s not overheating and also presume the thermostat has been fitted the right way round?
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

dougmead2004338

Member
Posts:25
Joined:Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:05 pm

Re: Coolant Leak

Postby dougmead2004338 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:59 pm

Went into the garage today and was told there is no damage to the engine but the heater on the driver's side has a slightly lower temperature. Also they said that the temperature gauge is not accurate as they took the temperature from the sensor near the thermostat?
The garage is now contacting the local independent Jaguar guy in Wilton (Wiltshire) for advice on the heater?
The garage is now saying it may be the heater matrix!
So, I told him again, the car came to you with a broken water pump and you failed to check that it had been properly bled after the replacement.

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Coolant Leak

Postby ptjs1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:07 pm

Differing temps on the driver and passenger sides is a well-known x350 problem and can be a real pain to resolve involving dash-out access to the aircon system.

I think it's been covered in the magazine but it will be easy enough to find info on this problem.

Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

dougmead2004338

Member
Posts:25
Joined:Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:05 pm

Re: Coolant Leak

Postby dougmead2004338 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:46 pm

So! the saga continues!!! I had a hose leak the other week, so took it in to the Jag specialist ( Independent) and they fitted a new hose and said my coolant reservoir was on its way out and so they replaced it. 2 days later I had the coolant low light on and there was lots of gurgling going on. Took it back and they replaced the thermostat and water pump ( Free of charge) both which had been replaced a few months ago by another garage ?
Returned home and 2 days later I noticed the coolant low light on again and the fans cutting in as soon as it reached running temperature, coolant coming out of the reservoir cap under pressure, a gurgling coming from behind the centre of the dash! Kept topping it up each journey I had, the temperature gauge stays normal but does now and again raise to the 3/4 mark then drops back to normal. The only thing left to replace is the engine temperature sensor / s ( anyone know where it/they are located? ) or it needs a bloody good burping!

dougmead2004338

Member
Posts:25
Joined:Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:05 pm

Re: Coolant Leak

Postby dougmead2004338 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:13 pm

At last I have successfully burped the engine and all is well with the cooling system..............but now I have the engine light on, she stopped twice on the way home dash said I had no handbrake but it was working ..on and off, DSC warning came up after the second stop she drove home all apart from the engine management light on!

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Coolant Leak

Postby ptjs1 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:33 pm

dougmead2004338,

What error code is it holding?

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest