Page 1 of 1

Oil pressure warning light

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:19 am
by timhenson
Hi

Hope everyone well

I have got my red oil pressure warning light come on (the oil can icon). The oil level is correct. No oil leaks. Car running great. No noises. Stopped the car within a few miles of it coming on. Milage is 109,000. V8 4.2l XJ x350.

I am wondering if its the oil pressure sender unit faulty? (in fact hoping it is!!)

Does anyone have any throught / comments? Alos where is the sender?

Many thanks in advance.

Tim

Re: Oil pressure warning light

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:01 pm
by BrianG
Hi Tim, I don't know how long you have owned the car but if it's not long the first question: when did the car last have its oil and filter changed? If you do your own servicing then you can answer that question of course, so if it has clean oil and, hopefully a genuine new Jaguar filter, it may be just down to a duff sensor. The workshop manual says it's located at the right front of the sump. It's only a switch and operates at between 2.2 to 6 psi, so does not give much warning of problems.

Re: Oil pressure warning light

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:14 pm
by timhenson
Thanks Brian for info very helpfull. I have owned the car for 3 years and while I normally do the work on cars myself with this car I have had a local garage do the oil change when mot done. Last done in November. Oil still looking very clean. So hopefully the switch i's problem. Sounds like if I take under tray off I will find it. I think I will pre buy a switch and swop and hope!

Thanks again.

Re: Oil pressure warning light

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:28 pm
by BrianG
Tim,
Depending on how many miles you have done since November "oil still looking very clean" may be a clue to the problem. Can you see what type of oil filter they have used? It may very well be a cheapo one rather than a proper Jaguar one. This may cause restricted flow and hence low oil pressure.

Re: Oil pressure warning light

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:29 pm
by timhenson
Hi Brian.
I looked to prebuy one but I was unsure which was correct one so decided to find it on car to be sure. Interesting thing is the green plastic part of the sender fell off when I touched it, so it was probably faulty. Now the wire is not connected the light on dash has go off.
Only saw you comment about oem filter after coming in from garage. I will double check.

Thanks

Kind regards Tim

Re: Oil pressure warning light

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:05 pm
by timhenson
Hi

Just to complerte the knowledge base. With the new sender the light is off so good news.

Good info for others, if the oil warning light comes on, its worth swopping the sender before worrying about actual low pressure

Thanks for the help all.

Kind regards

Tim

Re: Oil pressure warning light

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:28 pm
by BrianG
Good news then Tim! Well done.

Re: Oil pressure warning light

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:21 pm
by Andy P
Well done Tim.
Glad you got it sorted.
Here's To You.jpg
Here's To You.jpg (3.55KiB)Viewed 2759 times
Take care and stay safe.
Andy :D

Re: Oil pressure warning light

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:07 pm
by J44EAG
My best advice here and based on practical and actual experience.

Buy only genuine Jaguar OE spares when it comes down to any sensor, sender or electronic module. Ensure you only fit parts which have EXACTLY the same part number as the component that is fitted to your car.

Also ensure when you order parts that they are applicable to your own vehicle model year and to your vehicle VIN code. This may be found on the V5C ownership document or by viewing the vehicle identifier through the windscreen, lower near side. You only need to note the last six digits of that alpha/numeric sequence when ordering parts. ie SAJC........G13579.

Mike