Adventures into Valley pipe land
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:25 am
I had read Mike's excellent series of posts and mag articles about the valley pipe and had ear-marked it as a job to do in the future when it suited. However in November or may be December I started getting the 'low cooling fluid' warning and when I started using more anti-freeze than petrol, I decided I should do something about it. The only problem was that I couldn't figure out where the leak was coming from (even though I'd read the articles). I had the car up in the air one day, engine running and absolutely no sign of a leak anywhere. After about half hour of poking around underneath trying to hunt down another problem, that being the suspension noise, I suddenly felt a few drops down the back of my neck. At that point it finally became obvious that the fluid was leaking from the top of the V down the passenger side towards the back of the engine. Only once the supercharger is remove you can appreciate the amount of space there for water to accumulate and also a rather nice sound deadening sponge that also soaks up the fluid.
One feature of these cars is that it is extremely difficult to see anything without dismantling things. Most of the cooling hoses are to the front of the engine, but to see them you need to remove the header tank and the air ducting. To see anything at the back of the engine, the wipers and scuttle cover and various plastic bulkhead covers need to come off. Certainly the more you remove, the better access becomes. If you haven't removed the header tank before, there is a notorious spring clip that locks in place the main outlet pipe. This can be tricky to remove and is easy to loose! Its also a little tricky to access until the head tank is out.
Metal clip just visible
So the first steps are to remove the header tank and air ducting - both sides of the air filter - and this includes unplugging the MAF sensor. Then remove as many hoses as you can to the front of the engine and then the supercharger driver belt. This comes off reasonably easily if you can get a 1/2" square drive in to the tension arm, squeezed by the oil pipe. There's really no room there to use a ratchet drive and 1/2" adapter. While I was there I decided to replace the other drive belt too. This requires a different size square drive, but access is somewhat easier.
Some hoses removed
So while tackling the job of replacing the pipe, I did a number of other jobs too. These included:
* Valley pipe replacement
* Replacement of both the small pipe between the throttle body and EGR valve and the pipe from the EGR valve back to the front of the engine.
* Both drive belts renewed
* Water pump renewed
* Supercharger oil changed and back bearings greased
* Air inlet manifolds modified with jets for future direct injection - most likely LPG, but could be something more exotic!
* Another larger diameter hose replaced between engine and rear of thermostat housing
The next steps involve removing the wipers and scuttle cover. I couldn't initially figure out how this come off, but you just have to pull it at 90 degrees to windscreen with enough force to overcome the clipping mechanism. Then remove the plastic cover around the brake servo, the plastic bulkhead covers and the bracing bars. A relatively large torx drive is needed for these and so I had to go and buy one for the job.
The intake to the supercharger comes off without any problem. This allows you to see into the supercharger and also reveals one of the pipes and a vacuum hose.
One feature of these cars is that it is extremely difficult to see anything without dismantling things. Most of the cooling hoses are to the front of the engine, but to see them you need to remove the header tank and the air ducting. To see anything at the back of the engine, the wipers and scuttle cover and various plastic bulkhead covers need to come off. Certainly the more you remove, the better access becomes. If you haven't removed the header tank before, there is a notorious spring clip that locks in place the main outlet pipe. This can be tricky to remove and is easy to loose! Its also a little tricky to access until the head tank is out.
Metal clip just visible
So the first steps are to remove the header tank and air ducting - both sides of the air filter - and this includes unplugging the MAF sensor. Then remove as many hoses as you can to the front of the engine and then the supercharger driver belt. This comes off reasonably easily if you can get a 1/2" square drive in to the tension arm, squeezed by the oil pipe. There's really no room there to use a ratchet drive and 1/2" adapter. While I was there I decided to replace the other drive belt too. This requires a different size square drive, but access is somewhat easier.
Some hoses removed
So while tackling the job of replacing the pipe, I did a number of other jobs too. These included:
* Valley pipe replacement
* Replacement of both the small pipe between the throttle body and EGR valve and the pipe from the EGR valve back to the front of the engine.
* Both drive belts renewed
* Water pump renewed
* Supercharger oil changed and back bearings greased
* Air inlet manifolds modified with jets for future direct injection - most likely LPG, but could be something more exotic!
* Another larger diameter hose replaced between engine and rear of thermostat housing
The next steps involve removing the wipers and scuttle cover. I couldn't initially figure out how this come off, but you just have to pull it at 90 degrees to windscreen with enough force to overcome the clipping mechanism. Then remove the plastic cover around the brake servo, the plastic bulkhead covers and the bracing bars. A relatively large torx drive is needed for these and so I had to go and buy one for the job.
The intake to the supercharger comes off without any problem. This allows you to see into the supercharger and also reveals one of the pipes and a vacuum hose.