EGR valve cleaner. Petrol and diesel models.

Moderators:Popsjag, J44EAG

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent
EGR valve cleaner. Petrol and diesel models.

Postby J44EAG » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:28 pm

I think we all know that these valves need to be kept clean. How do we do it?

I suppose we have two options. One is to remove the valve and manually clean it. I know my valve on an XJR 350 is located somewhere near or on the throttle body right at the back of the engine with the bulkhead fold over being directly over the throttle. Access is not easy.

The second option is to try a magic fix in a spray tin. If it works, that is great. If it helps clean the valve a bit, that`s not bad either. In my experience many of these after market products do what it says on the label. Cataclean is one example of an extremely good product to be found on the shelves of motoring outlets.

This Wynns EGR cleaner is available for petrol or diesel applications. £5.99 from Halfords. A spray time of some solvent or other which reminded me of carb cleaner. Lift the air box lid and have someone hold the engine at 2000rpm and squirt the stuff down the air intake in short blasts. Grey mist/smoke will appear from the exhaust a few seconds after you spray into the inlet system. It takes a few minutes to empty the contents into the air intake.
20160311_122516 (Small).jpg
Perhaps too early to draw a conclusion but the engine has a really sweet even idle and the car is hesitation free. Wynns claim the cleaner will also help rid inlet valves of carbon. Essentially though , so does fuel injector cleaner and other products on a store additive shelf. The whole idea of these engine and system cleaning products is to do just that......help keep components clear of carbon, oily residue, moisture, micro-biotic attack or corrosive or other system destroying contaminates.

I don`t mind investing a few quid in this sort of liquid preventative maintenance. It doesn`t do any harm and all I ask from a product is to so what it says on the label. I certainly don`t expect it to work unspecified miracles or cure worn components.

I dumped this spray can of cleaner through my inlet system this morning in preparation for removing my supercharger for re-porting in the very near future. The objective being to attempt to soften any deposits in the EGR before I get to remove it when the throttle body is taken off. Hopefully any further cleaning necessary will have been made easier by using this Wynns product.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: EGR valve cleaner. Petrol and diesel models.

Postby J44EAG » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:46 pm

Just been out for a little run in the X350R.

After treating the car to a can of the Wynns EGR valve cleaner, I`m impressed. Lovely result which has really helped. Liquid throttle response in slow traffic with no hesitancy. i should have shot a can of this stuff through the intake system when I first acquired the car.

Five star rating from me then. Highly recommended. Has anyone else used the product?

Also getting my best product award is Cataclean which helps to displace carbonation in the catalytic converters. Another great product to help keep blockages at bay.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: EGR valve cleaner. Petrol and diesel models.

Postby ptjs1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:33 am

Mike,

Timely post! It made me remember that I had a tin of this in the garage unused! I checked the price online at Halfords and it's £9.99 (£7.49 with Trade Card) so if you got it for £5.99, well done!

So today, I emptied it via the air intake as directed. Has it made a difference? I don't know! I didn't really seem to get much smoke during the install procedure. The car did run ultra-smooth tonight but that could be the placebo effect as I'm sure it was running the same this morning! Still, it won't have done any harm, so I'm glad I did it as I have an MoT in a few weeks time. Time for a can of Cataclean perhaps?

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest