Page 1 of 1

Buying an X-350

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:07 pm
by 555ttg
Nice to see an X-350 BB up and running!
I am considering taking the leap to one of these fine looking specimens. I would like to hear any advice you can give me. I have 3 candidates in my 'sights';
1/2004 Vanden Plas
2/2004 XJR
3/2007 Vanden Plas Sports
I'm in Canada, so all the cars are North American spec. (assume fully loaded,but not TV).
Prices range between CAD$14800.00 and CAD$19900.00 with the 2004 XJR being CAD$17700.00
All 3 cars are at various dealers in the Toronto area, and all mileages are similar at about 120,000 kilometres. (75,000 miles)
Today's exchange rate is £1.00 = CAD$ 1.55
Any help would be appreciated.
Phil

Re: Welcome to the X-350 section of the re launched BB

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:20 pm
by barrywi
Hi Phil, it is very good to hear from Canada.
The Vanden Plas cars are known as Daimlers over here and are very rare. Not heard of a Sports Vanden Plas though can you check it is not just a Jaguar Sport?Not sure if the 2007 one you mention is an X-358 ( facelift model with new front bumper{fender}) but if it is then I would buy that as they are very rare indeed. Also I would buy the latest year of car which is the 2007 model. I am not absolutely sure but I think the Vanden Plas has the supercharged engine anyway so that is another reason to go for the 2007 model. I hope this helps you to decide.
Look in particular for any signs of aluminium/paint corrosion which can occur in strange areas like the bottom corner of the doors and the front of the boot(trunk?) lid on the folded edge. It should be covered by the corrosion guarantee, if that applies over there, but it is better not to have it to start with. The longer wheelbase cars don't handle quite as well as the SWB car like mine, but if you drive mainly on straight roads it won't matter much
If I, or we can help with any other questions about the purchase don't hesitate to keep in touch.

Re: Welcome to the X-350 section of the re launched BB

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:15 pm
by 555ttg
Barriwi,
Thanks for the reply. I did read your tips on buying one of these re: the paint and corrosion issues.
I haven't gone to see them as yet, because I haven't found the time. I can show you the link to each car, and maybe you could determine if the 2007 is a facelift car?
I will keep you informed if I decide to go for one. I assume they are ALL aluminium construction?
Phil
JEC Canada Region
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Jaguar/XJ/MI ... 111721730/

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Jaguar/XJ/VA ... 113428406/

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Jaguar/XJR/T ... 103501500/

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Jaguar/XJ/TO ... 102602125/

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Jaguar/XJ/TO ... 114506664/

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Jaguar/XJ8/S ... 103133186/

Re: Buying an X-350

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:11 pm
by barrywi
Hi Phil,
first the easy answers.
Yes the 350 is totally Aluminium apart from obvious items such as brake discs( Rotors) exhaust( mufflers) and parts of the engine, wiring etc. This makes it very light compared with other large cars.
The 2007 model shown in your choice is NOT a facelift model but like mine one of the last pre facelift ones.( no real disavantage for me as I prefer the earlier shape)It is not a Vanden Plas.
The 2004 Vanden Plas one in your selection has a longer wheelbase and a rear entertainment centre to identify it and that may be useful if you have kids in the back. You will notice the veneered picnic tables on the rear of the front seats
.It is really hard for me to guide you at such a distance, but look for a good service history, no marks or corrosion on the body and get as late a model as you can.( and of course some sort of warranty)
If you want me to ring you about it I think I can call Canada for free on my phone deal, so if we could arrange a convenient time for us both I don't mind doing that if it is of use to you.

Re: Buying an X-350

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:35 pm
by 555ttg
Hi Barry
Thanks for the offer, I will PM you my telephone details,or you can PM me yours, UK is free for me too! I won't be able to do car shopping for the next 12 days, as my 2nd son is getting married and all the family is arriving from the UK and USA, so I am on airport limo duties for the next little while, but I will keep an eye out.
Thanks
Phil

Re: Buying an X-350

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:37 pm
by 555ttg
Still on the hunt for an X-350 I have come across a June of 2003 production car, marketed as an '04(is that right?) is this going to be all aluminium and as an earlier car, what are the pitfalls? It is VERY cheap!
Phil

Re: Buying an X-350

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:53 pm
by I_MNL
It is VERY cheap!
How cheap??? Less than £4,000? Then, that would be cheap
If this is the case, then it depends on the mileage and the service history plus any other jobs done by previous owners

Re: Buying an X-350

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:21 am
by 555ttg
It actually sold for $6300 (about £3850) so yes, it was cheap!

Re: Buying an X-350

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:19 am
by BuckMR2
The Vanden Plas cars are known as Daimlers over here and are very rare
Good to learn something new as I'd always thought it meant Sovereign :?

Re: Buying an X-350

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:33 pm
by barrywi
Actually you could possibly be right Mark, I may have misunderstood Nigel's book in relation to Vanden Plas models. I thought there was some problem in using the Daimler name in the USA because the name had association there with Daimler-Benz ( Mercedes) models. I will wait for the definitive answer from someone on this BB or elsewhere. Why is life so complicated? My internet has slowed down to 1/3 speed ....why????

Re: Buying an X-350

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:13 pm
by 555ttg
For some reason Mercedes Benz, owns the name DAIMLER for marketing purposes in North America. In Canada, all Daimler Double Sixes, were sold as Jaguar Vanden Plas XJ12s. During the 80s, the 12 cylinder saloons were not sold in the USA,(something I never understood,because they had the V12 Xj-S cars???), something to do with the USA's CAFE restrictions, but they did have what were essentially DAIMLER sovereigns, marketed as Vanden Plas cars, and only with the 6 cylinder 4.2 units. Perversely, in the Canadian market, we had not only Daimler Double Sixes marketed as VDP, but also regular Jaguar XJ12s marketed as VDP but without the upgraded interiors!!!! (this seems to be for the years 87 and onwards, until the 91 M.Y. when they were Daimler D6s again with the appropraite levels of trim. Then in 1992 we, in Canada, had a special commemorative edition of 100 cars each with it's own plaque, numbering the car, as the final edition of the VDP 12 saloon. These were all full blown Daimler D6s and their VIN # s also denote them as Daimler cars, but marketed as JAGUAR VDP. I have often wondered what was going on in the minds of the marketing men at Jaguar in those days! Canada never had any 6 cylinder VDPs!
Phil

Re: Buying an X-350

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:31 pm
by barrywi
Thanks for the clarification, I knew it would be complicated!! It is useful to get the lowdown from across the pond, thanks again. Internet speed up to normal now...don't know why!!