Do you think this procedure will be the same on the S Type as the mirrors look almost identical
Jeff
erratic auto folding wing mirrors
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.
Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2
Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
Jeff,
I don't know about the construction of the S-Type mirrors but I'm sure there are S-Type owners (including Mike) who will know.
Why don't you try copy and paste the link to this thread in a new post in the S-Type section and ask members for their views on its applicability.
Good luck
Paul
I don't know about the construction of the S-Type mirrors but I'm sure there are S-Type owners (including Mike) who will know.
Why don't you try copy and paste the link to this thread in a new post in the S-Type section and ask members for their views on its applicability.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
Well I did have a go and there was indeed an awful lot of debris in there, have cleaned and lubricated, sadly still not functioning, I can hear the motors trying to work but suspect they need a proper strip down and clean to make them work, a job for another day....
Andy.
Andy.
Andy
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
Andy,
As you press the fold button, if you "help" the drivers mirror manually simultaneously with your other hand, can you get it to start moving in?
If so, then another cleaning regime plus a whole series of go's where you "help" it in and out, may prove to the answer.
Good luck
Paul
As you press the fold button, if you "help" the drivers mirror manually simultaneously with your other hand, can you get it to start moving in?
If so, then another cleaning regime plus a whole series of go's where you "help" it in and out, may prove to the answer.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
Thanks Paul, yes.
And no. The passenger side is trying to move and I think would do so with some more lubrication, the driver side has given up and died. Jag dealer says £55 for new motors and to be honest not that a big an issue for me to pay out for at present. One to be put on the "to do eventually list" !
Andy.
And no. The passenger side is trying to move and I think would do so with some more lubrication, the driver side has given up and died. Jag dealer says £55 for new motors and to be honest not that a big an issue for me to pay out for at present. One to be put on the "to do eventually list" !
Andy.
Andy
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
PS: regarding S type, from my memory of mine I think it would be the same.
Andy
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
I have been trawling the web for mirror motors, but can only find the one that moves the mirror glass, I presume there is a seperate motor that folds the mirror in, does anyone know?
Andy
Andy
Andy
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
Hi Paul,
Can you please re-post the photos. Couldn't open the images.
Thanks,
Don
Can you please re-post the photos. Couldn't open the images.
Thanks,
Don
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
Don,
I've edited original post to show pics again.
Good luck
Paul
I've edited original post to show pics again.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
According to the wiring diagram for my 2008 XJ TDVi, there is indeed a separate motor for "fold flat", power coming on the Red and Red/Yellow wires which go to the Driver Door Module. The passenger mirror's fold-flat uses the same wires.... can only find the one that moves the mirror glass, I presume there is a seperate motor that folds the mirror in, does anyone know?
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
-
jookul100431

- Posts:70
- Joined:Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 pm
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
Hi All
Thanks for the instructions on this thread... followed them and got my driver's wing mirror back folding again. So all good
Thanks for the instructions on this thread... followed them and got my driver's wing mirror back folding again. So all good
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
Glad that we've got another set of mirrors folding again!
Paul
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
- cybercontroller

- Posts:52
- Joined:Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:43 pm
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
Another couple of jobs for me to do. My nearside mirror does not work at all but I have a replacement and my off side is erratic
Jaguar XJ8 4.2 MY2004
Re: erratic auto folding wing mirrors
Mixed metal corrosion at its most effective. It is incredible that this basic and common knowledge is not well known or understood in the motor industry. In marine or aero industries, its one of the first things taught to you even on ab initio courses.
The problem exists because so many manufacturers plunder the universal parts bin for parts for their products. Insufficient time is spent reviewing the build quality before ploughing on into production. Typically Jaguar are much like so many other car makers. They buy parts in for the least amount of money and market their replacements as OE quality. That is a red herring if ever their was one. OE parts fail just as rapidly as cheaper after market parts in my experience. Example, front wheel bearing cartridges which the after market sell for around £40 a piece. Jaguar OE parts cost around three times the price and are usually worn out come 80K miles. Whether an after market part can equal or exide that hard time mileage is hard to quantify. I must wait and see if the cartridges fitted to my own car last for a similar length of time.ie another 60K miles. My annual mileage is now very low and I estimate it will take me another ten years of road use to get the car up to that mileage. We shall just have to wait and see. Will the car or I expire first!
Mike
The problem exists because so many manufacturers plunder the universal parts bin for parts for their products. Insufficient time is spent reviewing the build quality before ploughing on into production. Typically Jaguar are much like so many other car makers. They buy parts in for the least amount of money and market their replacements as OE quality. That is a red herring if ever their was one. OE parts fail just as rapidly as cheaper after market parts in my experience. Example, front wheel bearing cartridges which the after market sell for around £40 a piece. Jaguar OE parts cost around three times the price and are usually worn out come 80K miles. Whether an after market part can equal or exide that hard time mileage is hard to quantify. I must wait and see if the cartridges fitted to my own car last for a similar length of time.ie another 60K miles. My annual mileage is now very low and I estimate it will take me another ten years of road use to get the car up to that mileage. We shall just have to wait and see. Will the car or I expire first!
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests
