Cost of ownership

Moderators:Popsjag, J44EAG

I_MNL
Posts:28
Joined:Sun May 21, 2006 4:14 pm
Location:Driver's seat
Cost of ownership

Postby I_MNL » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Just wondering.... Have you ever calculated how much money you spent on your car? I mean servicing plus repairs only, fuel not included.

Anyhow I thought I make the start. Please take a seat or you may...faint... :roll:

I'm talking about the zircon blue high mileage car, which I bought as a gift for my Dad, but unfortunately he couldn't take it back home :cry: so I had to keep it (and of course keep it in shape by using it! :D ) for him here.

Acquired with ~163,500 miles on the clock. Now it has nearly 220,000 miles.
I have spent so far
~£2,100 for servicing which includes tyres and brakes (as consummable) and 4 alloys refurbed twice
~£9,500 for repairs: arms/bushes front and rear, reconditioned gearbox, 6 coils and plugs (misfire), engine gasket sump (oil leak), a/c module, radiator and water pump, boot latch, front headlamp washer

As for fuel, bearing in mind that it drinks about 11lt/100km, the car has done about 90,000km (~56,000miles) and at an average price (for all this period of time) of ~£1.1-1.2 per litre of petrol, it cost ~£11,400 for fuel alone... :evil: :x

So overall cost £11,600 + £11,400 = £23,000

Just to give an idea, so that before you buy, you do your maths!!!!
Citizen of Earth... Explorer of Life!

I_MNL
Posts:28
Joined:Sun May 21, 2006 4:14 pm
Location:Driver's seat

Re: Cost of ownership

Postby I_MNL » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:21 am

As i see no replies yet (I wonder why?!?!), let me entertain you more!


Now time to do the same maths for my other XJ

I'm talking about the seafrost (not so high mileage!) car, which essentially is my first Jag ever
Acquired with ~43,000 miles on the clock from a main Jaguar Dealer and with one year warranty. So any problems it has had in the first year (quite a few :x ) are not mentioned here, as they were covered under warranty and I did not pay anything money wise. The car just spent (overall) 2 months out of 12 at the Dealer Premises...
Now it has nearly 175,000 miles.

I have spent so far
~£6,000 for servicing which includes tyres and brakes (as consummable)
~£5,000 for repairs: lighting stalk replaced twice, rain sensor, arms/bushes rear, gearbox pan sump, 6 coils and plugs (misfire), radiator and water hoses with expansion tank, bonnet latch, a rear calliper and a propshaft!!!!

As for fuel, bearing in mind that it drinks a bit less than the other 10lt/100km, the car has done about 210,000km (~130,000miles) under my ownership and at an average price (for all this period of time) of ~£1.1-1.2 per litre of petrol, it cost ~£23,000 for fuel alone... :evil: :shock:

So overall cost £11,000 + £23,000 = £34,000
Citizen of Earth... Explorer of Life!

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Cost of ownership

Postby J44EAG » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:06 pm

Can I ask what the labour value was in the calculation and whether you are sourcing your parts from the Main Dealer network or other outlets?

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

PaulGover

Member
Posts:824
Joined:Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location:Near Banbury, England

Re: Cost of ownership

Postby PaulGover » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:57 pm

For comparison, my old XJ8 cost me in 2010 tax year
Insurance £226.20, Labour £875.94, Parts £747.64, Petrol £2,060.20 and Tax £205.00.
That's with main dealer servicing, a 3.2 engine doing about 23 mpg. Quite a lot of the "parts" was engine oil; the engine (and hence car) died the following year with terminal Nikasil.

Of course, there's depreciation; we had the car for about 9 years, paid £14,700 for it (four years old), and realised £200 scrap value :cry: , so it's £1,611.11 per annum. Brings the total to £5726, if my arithmetic's right.

Earlier years were more expensive, as I used to pay a fortune to Jaguar for warranty extensions. Also, I was using the car on business and doing 13,000 miles a year; for the last couple of years, no business miles and about 10,000 miles a year.

Overall, I'd guess around £60K for the 9 years. Somehow, despite changing to a diesel XJ, I suspect the next 10 years will be a lot more expensive.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE

I_MNL
Posts:28
Joined:Sun May 21, 2006 4:14 pm
Location:Driver's seat

Re: Cost of ownership

Postby I_MNL » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Can I ask what the labour value was in the calculation and whether you are sourcing your parts from the Main Dealer network or other outlets?

Mike
It's a combination from all. You see we are talking for totals since 2008 and 2006 for each car respectively. Prices have only gone up since then
Citizen of Earth... Explorer of Life!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests