I have just collected my 2014 XF 2.2 200 Sportbrake from an independent garage following a service and would like to tell you about the latest in many alarming issues I have found with the Main Dealer.
Before they started work on the car the garage phoned me to ask if the online service record was up to date as it showed that the car hadn't been serviced for two years and they wanted to make sure what service to do. I don't like not having a service record book that gets stamped as well as the online record.
I phoned the main dealer who serviced my car last year and they said the online record was not completed by them last year because the previous service a year earlier by another garage had got things out of sync and already done the service that my car should have had????? I said I wanted a record of the service I had done last year on the online record and was told this was not possible and that I needed to keep my paperwork to show that it had been done.
Following talking to the Independent Dealer about this he then advised me that although my car had done 53,000 miles it had never had a major service, also that the Jaguar Main Dealer could add the last service as an "interim" service which would keep the online record complete.
Another phone call to the main dealer and they then added the service missing from the record.
The Independent Dealer told the Main Dealer how to use the online service record.
The Main Dealer Serviced my car last year without advising me that the servicing was out of sync and it now needed a major service.
At the Independent Dealer I spoke to a Jaguar trained Mechanic. At the Main Dealer I spoke to a trained receptionist.
Main Dealer or Independent Garage?
Moderator:cawthrm
Current cars: 2014 XF 2.2 200 Sportbrake and 2001 XKR 4.0 Convertible
Past Jaguars: XJS 5.3 Coupe (pre-HE) and Mk2 3.8
Past Jaguars: XJS 5.3 Coupe (pre-HE) and Mk2 3.8
- BrizzleJag

- Posts:195
- Joined:Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:06 pm
- Location:Bristol
Re: Main Dealer or Independent Garage?
This doesn't surprise me one bit, I don't have much faith in main dealers although I'm sure some are very good. I run an independent company myself and understand the mindset of the small independent and for my money the independent is always going to try that bit harder and will deliver a better service. I have been using Swallows in Somerset to service my cars for the last four years and having nothing but praise for their work and service.
X100 XKR Pacific Blue Mods: EBC discs yellow stuff pads, Stainless Steel back pipes, Hel braided hoses
XF-S 3.0d Portfolio Caviar Metallic
Palmer Jaguar Cosworth JP1 3.0 V6
XF-S 3.0d Portfolio Caviar Metallic
Palmer Jaguar Cosworth JP1 3.0 V6
Re: Main Dealer or Independent Garage?
I agree fully with Brizzlejag.
At an Independent garage you almost always get to talk to the person doing your work. That makes a huge difference to how your car is approached and the degree of service and honesty applied. At a Main Dealer you just speak to the receptionist. Whether you believe their patter is up to you. Call me cynical but I wish to be treated as a knowledgeable owner not a numpty....
Mike K
At an Independent garage you almost always get to talk to the person doing your work. That makes a huge difference to how your car is approached and the degree of service and honesty applied. At a Main Dealer you just speak to the receptionist. Whether you believe their patter is up to you. Call me cynical but I wish to be treated as a knowledgeable owner not a numpty....
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Main Dealer or Independent Garage?
Main dealers seem to have an uncanny ability to cause ones jaw to drop.
If it's not a complete lack of knowledge, poor workshop expertise and discipline or bad/arrogant management then they're sure to get ones jaw to hit the floor with their prices.
If it's not a complete lack of knowledge, poor workshop expertise and discipline or bad/arrogant management then they're sure to get ones jaw to hit the floor with their prices.
The first sign of advancing years - going out to do one thing and coming back having done something else. 
Re: Main Dealer or Independent Garage?
The main dealer in my local town is now quoting £165 per hour for labour, local independent £60. It wouldn't take a great deal of work (plus VAT) to make an enormous difference in the final bill.
Re: Main Dealer or Independent Garage?
I`ve never used a Main Dealer once in the fifteen odd years I`ve had a Jag. I`ve no intention of breaking that habit now. A good Indi is worth his weight in gold. Better service and attitude, talk to the boss and the techi`s, better labour rates etc.
My Independent loves it when Main Dealers put up their labour rates. When that happens, former Main Dealer customers flock to his workshop door. Servicing and out of service schedule repairs don`t need to be at rip off prices. Most repair scenarios have been seen a thousand times before and it really isn`t necessary to blind a customer with receptionist bull dust or frighten the living daylights out of him. What a terrible way to do business. I just tell my Indi "Fix it Ray" and that is the end of the matter. Sometimes I`m astonished at how reasonable the invoice is. Getting the right man on the job is the hardest part of the battle. Once sourced, stick to the fellow like glue!
Mike K
My Independent loves it when Main Dealers put up their labour rates. When that happens, former Main Dealer customers flock to his workshop door. Servicing and out of service schedule repairs don`t need to be at rip off prices. Most repair scenarios have been seen a thousand times before and it really isn`t necessary to blind a customer with receptionist bull dust or frighten the living daylights out of him. What a terrible way to do business. I just tell my Indi "Fix it Ray" and that is the end of the matter. Sometimes I`m astonished at how reasonable the invoice is. Getting the right man on the job is the hardest part of the battle. Once sourced, stick to the fellow like glue!
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Main Dealer or Independent Garage?
I think that a great independent mechanic is worth his/her weight in gold, I'm extremely fortunate to have one close to me, and that over the years we have become great friends (thankfully)
I have never disputed any of his invoices, likewise, he has never disputed any invoices I have given to him for work that I have carried out at either of his premises.
He tells me horror stories of Main Agent rip offs, and incorrectly diagnosed faults that spiral out of any acceptable financial implications - Main Agents just change components, never actually discovering what the fault really is.
In most cases, these faults are (would you believe it) wiring issues, breaks in a loom somewhere, this does take Francis a massive amount of time to find, as you can imagine, but they become "commonly known issues" after a while which all stick in that memory bank.
I have known for Main Agents to bring vehicles to him as they are unable to cure the problem, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Ford, Nissan and Vauxhall all bend Francis' ear on occasion - so why would you go to a main agent?
Find a good one and you'll be a happy person - most of the time

I have never disputed any of his invoices, likewise, he has never disputed any invoices I have given to him for work that I have carried out at either of his premises.
He tells me horror stories of Main Agent rip offs, and incorrectly diagnosed faults that spiral out of any acceptable financial implications - Main Agents just change components, never actually discovering what the fault really is.
In most cases, these faults are (would you believe it) wiring issues, breaks in a loom somewhere, this does take Francis a massive amount of time to find, as you can imagine, but they become "commonly known issues" after a while which all stick in that memory bank.
I have known for Main Agents to bring vehicles to him as they are unable to cure the problem, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Ford, Nissan and Vauxhall all bend Francis' ear on occasion - so why would you go to a main agent?
Find a good one and you'll be a happy person - most of the time
1977 Daimler XJC
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
-
londondaz804

- Posts:11
- Joined:Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:43 pm
Re: Main Dealer or Independent Garage?
Always well debated this.
As a rule of thumb good independent that are passionate about cars is the best. If you have a chat about cars in general and they are interested walk away
Does not mean they are good, but know they will try.
Only exception to rule for me, is if mainstream service will maintain value of the car, I do have a service plan on my XF but it is a rare version and will help if I sell one day.
As a rule of thumb good independent that are passionate about cars is the best. If you have a chat about cars in general and they are interested walk away
Only exception to rule for me, is if mainstream service will maintain value of the car, I do have a service plan on my XF but it is a rare version and will help if I sell one day.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests
