Horn Grills

Moderators:robv12, ptjs1, cstorey

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Horn Grills

Postby RichardSEL » Mon May 29, 2017 8:20 am

Found two types of horn grill in the box of bits I'm fitting to my Mk IX

On the right is the correct one -- but found a pair of these style rounded centre and edge as on the left in the box of spares that came with the car. What are they for? Did the Mk VII have a different style?

Any info appreciated

[pic=]Image[/pic]

<later> Appears max width allowed of posted pix is 400 pixels
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Horn Grills

Postby oldtimer » Mon May 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Richard, I instantly recognised the grill on the right , that's what my '56 Mk7M had. I have never seen the ones on the left.
I've seen lights in the grill apertures of early Mk 7s
Mk 1 and 2 owners may throw some light on the subject as I believe they also had grills.

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Horn Grills

Postby RichardSEL » Wed May 31, 2017 8:42 am

Did a search and found some pix of the "rounded" style of horn grill
But none of the pix gave a clue which Jag model had these rounded style
All the pix of Mk I front ends had either squared off style horn grills or a fog lamp fitted
I had a Mk I many, many years ago and it had yellow fogs there

:idea: I'll ask at the parts' desk of Manners or Barrats see if they know what they applied to

Thanks for the reply :!:
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Horn Grills

Postby RichardSEL » Wed May 31, 2017 11:21 am

<later> Found them (but not the part number)
Apparently they're Mk II or 3.8 horn grills

Not ever had either. Still should've known <duh!> :oops:
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Horn Grills

Postby oldtimer » Wed May 31, 2017 6:33 pm

Well done Richard, Now we know !


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest