Will be starting to restore my 1950 mkv 3,5 saloon this summer. Any one out there currently/ or has previously carried a simmilar project, would appreciate any advice obtaining spares, also I note us mkv owners seem to scarce on this wesite.
Pictures would be good of any mkvs.
Mk V Restoration
Re: Mk V Restoration
Hi, you are right Mark V's are scarce, not just on this site but in the UK in general. We have just started a Push Rod Forum, which at present is only in the mag, as we are looking for a BB Moderator before setting up a separate section on this site. Hopefully this will build and attract more fans of the early cars.
There are not many suppliers of parts for the Mark V but the key one is Worcester Classic Spares http://www.worcesterclassicspares.com
Our own Ken Jenkins can offer technical advice and there is one major restorer specialising in the early cars. David Davenport, http://www.davenportcars.co.uk/
I hope this helps, good luck with the rebuild.
Graham Searle
JEC General Manager
There are not many suppliers of parts for the Mark V but the key one is Worcester Classic Spares http://www.worcesterclassicspares.com
Our own Ken Jenkins can offer technical advice and there is one major restorer specialising in the early cars. David Davenport, http://www.davenportcars.co.uk/
I hope this helps, good luck with the rebuild.
Graham Searle
JEC General Manager
Re: Mk V Restoration
Hi Graham, thanks for the info. Will look into them.
Re: Mk V Restoration
godd,
Congratulations! The car looks superb in the picture, you must be very proud.
I'm sure this would be a great article for the magazine. Paul Skilleter and Nigel Thorley would be delighted to feature this.
And your 8-year "rush" puts my 30-year unfinished TR6 restoration to shame!
Well done
Paul
Congratulations! The car looks superb in the picture, you must be very proud.
I'm sure this would be a great article for the magazine. Paul Skilleter and Nigel Thorley would be delighted to feature this.
And your 8-year "rush" puts my 30-year unfinished TR6 restoration to shame!
Well done
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Mk V Restoration
Congratulations, looks great. Always wanted one but never see many advertised at the right price and condition.
Hope all goes well with it.
Regards,
Hope all goes well with it.
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
- 3.8etypephil

- Posts:238
- Joined:Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 pm
- Location:Watton & Budapest.
- Contact:
Re: Mk V Restoration
Thanks all for your kind comments and just to let you know I will be contacting Paul Skilliter regarding an entry into the magazine, Had a first drive over the bank holiday was very pleased with the ride of the car but totally agree the umbrella handbrake is a big nuisance, still made a few people smile and that’s what it’s all about , thanks again.
Re: Mk V Restoration
Hi Godd,
It look a really nice car and colour, 8 years beats my 12 years to complete our MkII.
Very recently I almost bought a Mk5 but was warned off the seller and told by 4 people they were horrible to drive??!!
From your personal experience what is your assessment of the Mk5
You said the ride was fine, how are the brakes, acceleration, handling. Have you had to modify anything or will you modify anything.
I still think they are one of Lyons beautiful shapes and lust for one but the price is a bit too much now so also look at restoration/basket cases.
Congratulations.
Brian
It look a really nice car and colour, 8 years beats my 12 years to complete our MkII.
Very recently I almost bought a Mk5 but was warned off the seller and told by 4 people they were horrible to drive??!!
From your personal experience what is your assessment of the Mk5
You said the ride was fine, how are the brakes, acceleration, handling. Have you had to modify anything or will you modify anything.
I still think they are one of Lyons beautiful shapes and lust for one but the price is a bit too much now so also look at restoration/basket cases.
Congratulations.
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Re: Mk V Restoration
Hi Brian,
In answer to your questions My car has no modifications apart from having radial tyres which I believe greatly improves handling. (They are actually ford transit tyres) I found the car a pleasure to drive with enough power and torque to easily keep up with the traffic, the 3.5 litre engine very smooth, the gearbox seemed ok provided you don’t rush the gear changes , the steering with the large wheel and low gear ratio box was easy and responsive.
A MkV was placed 5th in the monte carlo rally , some achievement for a heavy saloon.
The brakes were better than expected, as I read they can fade if used down long hills , but I found them fine.
Of course, having said all of the above compared to a mark 2 or any more modern car one might think its hard to drive.
I still miss my 3.8 Mk 2 auto that I was lucky to have when I was 18, many years ago , 787 ELX. As I recall .
Anyway hope this helps
Ron Goddard
In answer to your questions My car has no modifications apart from having radial tyres which I believe greatly improves handling. (They are actually ford transit tyres) I found the car a pleasure to drive with enough power and torque to easily keep up with the traffic, the 3.5 litre engine very smooth, the gearbox seemed ok provided you don’t rush the gear changes , the steering with the large wheel and low gear ratio box was easy and responsive.
A MkV was placed 5th in the monte carlo rally , some achievement for a heavy saloon.
The brakes were better than expected, as I read they can fade if used down long hills , but I found them fine.
Of course, having said all of the above compared to a mark 2 or any more modern car one might think its hard to drive.
I still miss my 3.8 Mk 2 auto that I was lucky to have when I was 18, many years ago , 787 ELX. As I recall .
Anyway hope this helps
Ron Goddard
Re: Mk V Restoration
Ron,
Coincidentally, my first car at 18 was 350 ELX. A Mk 2 Jaguar? No, a 1962 Vauxhall Victor! But I still also miss it!
Paul
Coincidentally, my first car at 18 was 350 ELX. A Mk 2 Jaguar? No, a 1962 Vauxhall Victor! But I still also miss it!
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest