Slow Electric Windows

Moderator:LJR

User avatar
Flappers

Member
Posts:85
Joined:Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 am
Location:Stockport
Contact:
Slow Electric Windows

Postby Flappers » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi, I was advised to use washing up liquid round the edges of my series 3 windows to allow them to move freely again. I'm just a little scared if I get caught in a downpour that I'll be creating a mass of bubbles... They need a helping hand to move up and down right now but after I wash the car they move freely. Is there some special lubricant needed to breathe new life into them ?
Kind regards, Sam.
1989 Daimler Double Six
2002 STR

steve_m
Posts:1441
Joined:Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:46 am
Location:Wiltshire

Re: Slow Electric Windows

Postby steve_m » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Silicone lubricant should do the job.
The Halfords stuff gets a 5 out of 5 customer reviews. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65705#tab3

I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and do the channels on the XJRS; I'll let you know how it goes if you like.

steve_m
Posts:1441
Joined:Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:46 am
Location:Wiltshire

Re: Slow Electric Windows

Postby steve_m » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:31 am

Bought the silicone spray, tried it and it works a treat.
The drivers window now slides up and down smoother than a smooth thing on a smooth day.
The passenger window is still slow but now does go all the way to the top with a positive stop rather than tiredly giving up just before it got there; no longer have to unbuckle, lean over and stab chest with gear stick and high five the window the rest of the way up.
Absolutely worth £3.49.

User avatar
Flappers

Member
Posts:85
Joined:Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 am
Location:Stockport
Contact:

Re: Slow Electric Windows

Postby Flappers » Sat May 31, 2014 7:47 pm

Worked a treat, lke having new motors ! Sorry for the delayed reply but thanks allot for the tip :D
Kind regards, Sam.
1989 Daimler Double Six
2002 STR

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Slow Electric Windows

Postby J44EAG » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:36 pm

A little Vasaline or spray can white grease is also pretty good. I lube my window rubbers annually or whenever a window starts to drag slowly, which ever is the sooner.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests