Hi - can someone please confirm (or otherwise) that XJ (4 doors and coupes) came from the factory with a Webasto manual (the manual type that slides and the fabric concertinas) . If not,,. were they at least the "factory recommended" items
Also did Jaguar supply any electric sunroofs in series 2 cars (ie like the series 3 models ) and if not as anyone fitted one of these to a series 2 car ?.
I'm looking to purchase XJ series two and want to fit the Webasto (looks like £1600 is for supply and fit by Peter Harvey who advertises in the club mag) - any better deals people know about,
I do expect it's only open for around town driving (not motorway) - however hope it does not flap or "humm" when closed and blasting along at 80 mph - any guys experience here is appreciated.
I have a feeling this might be considered sacrilegious , and am waiting for the "shock horror" responses to this post. I am interested to get the views.
Finally, would the responses to the above be different if I said I was planning on fitting it to a xj12c.
Over and Out
Julian
Please call if easier to talk me through it
077 8892 5134
Webasto Sunroof for Series 2 XJ - factory fitted ? Or ju
Moderator:LJR
-
captaincrankit
- Posts:15
- Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:23 pm
- Location:South London
- XjRestorations
- Posts:216
- Joined:Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm
- Location:East Sussex
- Contact:
Re: Webasto Sunroof for Series 2 XJ - factory fitted ? Or
Hi Julian,
The Webasto type sunroof was never a standard fitment or jaguar approved.
A few cars did leave with a factory fitted sunroof - but VERY rare.
It is all down to personal choice - and if thats what yoy want - what is wrong with that?! I am sure there are people who would be 'shocked' with your plans for a XJ12C - but so what! Your car needs to be how you want it.
Some people were shocked by the Avon convertable, but the owners loved them and they are now very desirable.
All I would say with a Coupe is, with all 4 windows down - it is like driving a convertable but with shade from the sun
All the best,
Keith
The Webasto type sunroof was never a standard fitment or jaguar approved.
A few cars did leave with a factory fitted sunroof - but VERY rare.
It is all down to personal choice - and if thats what yoy want - what is wrong with that?! I am sure there are people who would be 'shocked' with your plans for a XJ12C - but so what! Your car needs to be how you want it.
Some people were shocked by the Avon convertable, but the owners loved them and they are now very desirable.
All I would say with a Coupe is, with all 4 windows down - it is like driving a convertable but with shade from the sun
All the best,
Keith
JEC XJ Series Forum Coordinator & Body/Paint advisor.
http://www.xjrestorations.co.uk
http://www.jaguarclassicspares.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jaguar-Xj ... 3187439423
http://www.xjrestorations.co.uk
http://www.jaguarclassicspares.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jaguar-Xj ... 3187439423
-
stuarthardy

- Posts:488
- Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
- Location:North Shropshire
Re: Webasto Sunroof for Series 2 XJ - factory fitted ? Or
Hi Julian
Keith is, of course, correct and I agree that its your car and you can do whatever you want with it.
However, I seem to recall an article in JE Mag in the dim and distant past about an XJ Coupe restoration (in Australia, I think) that had a Webasto installation reversed. If I remember correctly, when they stripped the car down for restoration they found stress cracking in the roof pillars that was apparently caused by the loss of strength in the roof due to the Webasto sunroof.
When I was looking for my E-type project I was advised to walk away from one that had a Webasto sunroof fitted because of a claimed loss of rigidity in the structure.
I am sure you will find people who will tell you it will be alright but I wouldn't take the chance.
Regards
Keith is, of course, correct and I agree that its your car and you can do whatever you want with it.
However, I seem to recall an article in JE Mag in the dim and distant past about an XJ Coupe restoration (in Australia, I think) that had a Webasto installation reversed. If I remember correctly, when they stripped the car down for restoration they found stress cracking in the roof pillars that was apparently caused by the loss of strength in the roof due to the Webasto sunroof.
When I was looking for my E-type project I was advised to walk away from one that had a Webasto sunroof fitted because of a claimed loss of rigidity in the structure.
I am sure you will find people who will tell you it will be alright but I wouldn't take the chance.
Regards
Stuart
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
-
captaincrankit
- Posts:15
- Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:23 pm
- Location:South London
Re: Webasto Sunroof for Series 2 XJ - factory fitted ? Or
Great replies - thanks guys !!
Last edited by captaincrankit on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
captaincrankit
- Posts:15
- Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:23 pm
- Location:South London
Re: Webasto Sunroof for Series 2 XJ - factory fitted ? Or
Great replies - thanks guys !!
Yes, all 4 windows down = pillarless BLISS - AS GOOD AS A SUNROOF - good point !
Stress cracking in the rear pillers - aghhhhhh - A better point !!
I think I just saved £1600 !!
Tks
Yes, all 4 windows down = pillarless BLISS - AS GOOD AS A SUNROOF - good point !
Stress cracking in the rear pillers - aghhhhhh - A better point !!
I think I just saved £1600 !!
Tks
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests