XJ6 Series 2 interior - help wanted

Moderator:LJR

DWMF
Posts:2
Joined:Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:58 pm
Location:Bristol, UK
Contact:
XJ6 Series 2 interior - help wanted

Postby DWMF » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Hullo forum members

I have an Executive trim Jaguar XJ6 Series 2, first registered in 1973, which I imported from South Africa back in 2001. I have been slowly restoring the old girl to her former glory, and am entering the final lap, namely the interior. I have already obtained most of the necessary replacement parts. Some of this work will need two pairs of hands, and I am looking for a fellow enthusiast (for old XJ6s) who lives in or around the Bristol area. Please reply to me here, and the forum will notify me automatically.

I know Mike Mercer of Auto Classico very well, and he is on hand if there needs to be any professional work done. :)

A picture of the old girl is attached.

Here's hoping!
Attachments
XJ6_face.jpg

User avatar
jBlackwell

Site Admin
Posts:1055
Joined:Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 pm
Location:Cwmbran

Re: XJ6 Series 2 interior - help wanted

Postby jBlackwell » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi,
what a alovely series 2. Mine is still in bits (although less bits and more complete).
Im in Bristol also. What help are you after?

James

DWMF
Posts:2
Joined:Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:58 pm
Location:Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: XJ6 Series 2 interior - help wanted

Postby DWMF » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:49 am

Hi James,

My XJ6 needs its interior fitting out. I have replaced the wooden dash, and any switches and dials that needed fixing.

1.) The PVC on the seats needs restitching, and it was patched with black (not navy blue) by a previous owner. I might unbolt them from the floor and take them away to be reupholstered. The back seat is not so bad - it might suffice with a brushing and waxing.

2.) I want to replace the door cards with something stiffer. They are hardboard, and are disintegrating.

3.) I have bought walnut door cappings (old Daimler ones) to replace the black PVC ones. This will necessitate some clever carpentry in re-siting the interior door latches.

4.) I have had a new floorpan welded in. Lost the old carpet in the process. I have obtained new underfelt and carpet of the right colour, which all needs relaying.

5.) The front seatbelts are all worn and shonky, and the springs to bring them back onto the rollers are completely shot.

6.) The headlining needs replacing. I've got a new one, with A-pillar covers.

7.) The rear parcel shelf needs replacing. I have a new one to go in.

8.) I want to reline the boot. Have got new stuff for that too.

9.) I sometimes use the XJ6 for carrying heavy stuff. I would like to make a wooden pallet to fit where the rear seat would normally go (and thus not damage the seat).

10.) I would like to fit new locks on the petrol caps. Prices are approaching the same values as the early 70s, and nicking petrol may come back into fashion!

That's all I can recall, off the top of my head. Inevitably, there will be more. :| If you would like to lend a hand, please email me at dwmfawcett -AT- gmail -DOT- com, and I can tell you my address. This work is all owner-DIY-able, I feel, apart from the front seats.

I've got some XJ6 bits left over. Feel free to give them a good home.

TTFN. :)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests