Page 1 of 1
tyres on series 3 double six
Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:16 pm
by ipburrell1962
hi,
i know this subject is not a new one,but can i have some opinions please.
the tyres (avon 215/70/15) fitted to my my 82 double six are about 8 years old,they show no obvious signs of cracking either between the treads,or on the sidewalls,and have ample amounts of tread depth from a legal point of view.the car is only used in the summer months and laid up over the winter period,thus the long tyre life.
Despite this i have been advised by a local tyre company that they should be replaced for safety reasons,as they are well past there "useable life".
Opinions please?.

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:55 am
by David27
Hi, I suspect it's the old sharp intake of breath 'gonna cost you guv' trick that garages love to pull! When I had a 1999 S-Type with only about 60000 miles on the clock, the main dealer insisted on changing all four brake discs and pads for 'safety reasons'. I objected when I inspected them myself and ended up compromising and just getting new front ones but I think you're in a similar situation. I wouldn't profess to be a technical expert and a blow-out could be lethal at speed so maybe a bit of financial pain is worth the peace of mind new tyres would give you. I must confess the brakes were much better after I let Lookers change the front discs!
Cheers, David.

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:20 pm
by ipburrell1962
hi david,
thanks for that,i think ill go down that road!,after the money ive spent over the last 6 months a blowout really is the last thing i need!!.
cheers ian

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:49 pm
by piman
Hello,
I read a similar thread in another car forum, but it was suggested that the age limit is 15 years?
There is, at present, no rule that puts an age limit on tyres.
Incidentally, Anthony Crook, the boss of Bristol cars used to carry out blow out tests on his cars at 100 mph to show how good the steering was.
Alec
Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:05 pm
by peterdpps
There is no rule here but in the US there are some states that insist that tyres are no older than 6 years!
It is also worth checking when buying any tyres just when they were made as I have heard of some Pirellis for an XK8 that were 6 yrs old when purchased

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:07 pm
by piman
Hello Peter,
"states that insist that tyres are no older than 6 years!"
Not States where there are tyre plants (sorry should be tire plants) by any chance?
Alec