Hello all
The last time I posted a message I was asking for buying advice. I’m pleased to say that I have now taken the plunge and acquired myself a very nice 1985 series 3 4.2 Sovereign.
Almost immediately I find myself with a dilemma. The engine is so smooth I can barely hear it. Yes I know that would have been exactly the point when sold new.
I have noticed that there are a number of suppliers of performance exhaust systems out there that might be a solution. But is it THE solution? I am acutely aware of the Grace Space Pace mantra and the last thing I want to do is ruin a beautiful original car with some tacky upgrade.
I am particularly attracted to the AJ6 Engineering systems. Has anyone put one of these on their series 3? What sort of a difference has it made to how the car sounds? I’m definitely looking for something dignified but maybe with a little attitude. Not wanting to wake the neighbours though.
How would an addition of something like this be received at shows? Don’t think I have concours ambitions but might like to try some less formal events.
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Ian
Exhaust Note Advice
Moderator:LJR
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Exhaust Note Advice
It's always a dilemma with a classic. How far should you go to personalise it? The noise a car makes is very subjective when it comes to judging it as good or bad. It also depends upon how you intend using the car. For example, if you listen to the series 2 V12 coupe featured in Harry's Garage on youtube, it sounds tremendous under heavy acceleration but as a fellow V12 coupe owner, I don't think I could live with it on a long journey. It's just too noisy. I believe that the forward silencers on that car have been deleted leaving only the rear straight through units in place.
The good thing about changing the exhaust system is that it's an entirely reversible modification if you or a future owner doesn't like the result. Nevertheless, to avoid expensive mistakes, I'd recommend finding a fellow member with the AJ6 system fitted to a series saloon and asking if you can go along to listen to it in practice before spending any money. Any volunteers out there? Mike.
The good thing about changing the exhaust system is that it's an entirely reversible modification if you or a future owner doesn't like the result. Nevertheless, to avoid expensive mistakes, I'd recommend finding a fellow member with the AJ6 system fitted to a series saloon and asking if you can go along to listen to it in practice before spending any money. Any volunteers out there? Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Exhaust Note Advice
I have a Sov V12, originally I fitted a set of front silencer delete pipes and stainless rear boxes, she sounded slightly fruitier, idled like a speed boat and had no issues or droning on the motorway. With my engine swap I fitted a used AJ6 big bore kit, Although the car is not running correctly (yes still have not sorted out my timing...) It was immediately apparent that the rear boxes needed re-baffling, yes the idle is still sonorous and expensive sounding, but give it a blip and it has a rasp that's more XR3i then XJ12... I think the centre box delete system with stainless back boxes is ideal, it retains the refinement of the original but just adds enough noise to make it sound a bit more special. You can get these delete pipes and rear boxes from Simply Performance, but am sure there are other vendors around.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests