New Member - Buying Advice
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:11 pm
Hello
I have just signed up having recently been bitten by the Jag bug. I have yet to make my first purchase and was hoping for a few gems of wisdom, from those more experienced, to steer me in the right direction. If you could go back to the time of your first purchase but with the knowledge you now have what would you do differently?
I would like to find a decent XJ6 4.2 series 1 or 2. I don't have sufficient mechanical knowledge to buy wisely on my own so was intending on using the services of a professional vehicle examiner. Assuming that they do a good job and I buy at around £15,000 what can I expect going forwards in terms maintenance bills bearing in mind that I will need to use the services of a professional for most jobs.
Is there a particular time of year that more cars come on the market than another?
I've seen quite a few adverts for RHD imported cars. Are there any particular reasons to avoid these cars? I guess the history is always going to be more difficult to verify. A common theme in such ads for Japanese imports seems to be that they have fewer problems with rust. But as far as I am aware heat, humidity and rust are great friends.
Look forward to hearing from some of you.
Ian
I have just signed up having recently been bitten by the Jag bug. I have yet to make my first purchase and was hoping for a few gems of wisdom, from those more experienced, to steer me in the right direction. If you could go back to the time of your first purchase but with the knowledge you now have what would you do differently?
I would like to find a decent XJ6 4.2 series 1 or 2. I don't have sufficient mechanical knowledge to buy wisely on my own so was intending on using the services of a professional vehicle examiner. Assuming that they do a good job and I buy at around £15,000 what can I expect going forwards in terms maintenance bills bearing in mind that I will need to use the services of a professional for most jobs.
Is there a particular time of year that more cars come on the market than another?
I've seen quite a few adverts for RHD imported cars. Are there any particular reasons to avoid these cars? I guess the history is always going to be more difficult to verify. A common theme in such ads for Japanese imports seems to be that they have fewer problems with rust. But as far as I am aware heat, humidity and rust are great friends.
Look forward to hearing from some of you.
Ian