Wheelbase measurement

Moderator:LJR

ericnagy
Posts:8
Joined:Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:05 pm
Wheelbase measurement

Postby ericnagy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:36 pm

If someone has a long wheelbase series2 xj6 and could kindly take a measurement from the centre of the front wheel to the centre of the rear wheel i would be very grateful for the info.I have rebuilt the rear suspension and have struggled to reattach one of the radius arms to the floor dome.both of these have been rebuilt along with floorpans/jacking points and all fitted fine until the IRS was removed for rebuild.after struggling to attach one side i have a difference in the measurements from nearside to offside.a measurement from a car that is original would be of great help for me to determine what is occurring in my case.many thanks to anyone who might help.Eric.

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Wheelbase measurement

Postby mike020150 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:40 am

Haynes lists 113.1" as the LWB wheelbase dimension. However, there will be some variation around that number due to the effects of ride height and rubber bushings. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

ericnagy
Posts:8
Joined:Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Wheelbase measurement

Postby ericnagy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:50 pm

Thank you for sending the info reg. wheelbase measurement .I will make another measurement and see how it differs.hopefully I am not looking at a huge problem.regards .Eric

PaulGover

Member
Posts:824
Joined:Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location:Near Banbury, England

Re: Wheelbase measurement

Postby PaulGover » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 pm

I can't see how that could go wrong. It might be worth posting some photos of the various mounting points (rear subframe to body and so forth) to see if we can see something obvious. AFAIR there are no adjustable bits on the rear suspension or subframe that could make that degree of difference.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE

User avatar
3.8etypephil

Member
Posts:238
Joined:Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 pm
Location:Watton & Budapest.
Contact:

Re: Wheelbase measurement

Postby 3.8etypephil » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:32 am

The Jaguar factory manual shows the wheelbase as 112.87", and offers instruction on measurement.
The problem is most likely a result of incorrect positioning of one / both radius arm posts. Unfortunately the manual doesn't seem to provide any positioning guidance:
IMG_5603.jpeg
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Wheelbase measurement

Postby mike020150 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:18 pm

:idea: Thinking about it again, one possible very simple issue occurs to me. It is possible to fit the rear subframe mounts the wrong way round. Try checking their orientation. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

ericnagy
Posts:8
Joined:Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Wheelbase measurement

Postby ericnagy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:18 pm

A very big thank you to you both for the further info and trouble you have taken to reply.I will uses the info and suggestion of checking the mounts as I'm sure all lined up fine before the big rebuild of the irs.I went to the a lot of trouble when lining things up prior to welding the new radius arm/jacking point panels .it's all a long time ago though.you wouldn't believe if I told you I did all the structural work and spraying some 24 years ago.children and moving/life stopped me carrying on but as I was locked in my wife suggested I get on with it before I'm too old to.I rebuilt the rear suspension 4 years ago and it's been waiting to go in .that's why I'm head scratching but will get it sorted.thanks again.I've been doing lots of other during past 4 months including complete engine rebuild and auto box is with a specialist at mo.I hope to get it running again this year.it's been a very long time since i drive it with my wife some 30 years ago.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests