Hi All,
Am new to writing in the forum but am in receipt of my 2nd JEC magazine from my annual subscription, slow and steady progress towards ownership!
Having previously ruled out an XJ saloon I am now thinking that was a silly decision as I now quite like the look of the Series 2, it just looks so cool, the sort of car that should have featured in the film Lock Stock and Two Smokin' Barrel's!
Anyway... these cars are old, the headlinings sag and some have leaking fuel tanks! But what are the items that go wrong the most or indeed are astronomical to fix that I should look to avoid?
I suppose I want a Champagne car on Lemonade money but I don't want a resto project, so I am looking for a bit of an Inbetweener.
Is the XJ the right car for me? in terms of Lemonade money, I am not ruling out the XJ40 but I would have to make some serious alterations for it to work for me.
I look forward to discussing this with you all.
Thanks
Chris C.
Newbie without a Jag
Moderator:LJR
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Newbie without a Jag
That's a tough set of questions! If you want a list of what can go wrong on any car, the list will put you off buying anything. For a series 2, not surprisingly at this age, the biggest (most expensive) thing to avoid is rust. Get a car with decent bodywork and within reason, you can enjoy upgrading/refurbishing the mechanical bits at your own pace. Buy a car with anything other than minor rust issues and you will have to dig deep straightaway before you can enjoy driving it. Mechanically, there are lots of rubber bushes which deteriorate with time but costs are not outrageous if you're prepared to get your hands dirty. Six cylinder cars are pretty straightforward mechanically. Twelves can be daunting on first acquaintance but as long as they kept full of water and oil, they are reliable. On a budget, a six will cost a little less to run but it's not a big difference. Buy the best condition car you can afford and get behind the wheel. These are great driving cars! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
-
Capester82

- Posts:2
- Joined:Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:37 pm
Re: Newbie without a Jag
Thanks Mike, I guess you pretty much summed up what I thought which is buy the best from the start then spend as much time behind the wheel as the fuel funds will allow.
I'm currently watching a Brown Series 2 Daimler/Jag on eBay but as it's some distance away I think this one will sadly pass by until I see one pop up more locally to Heathrow.
Cheers
Chris.
I'm currently watching a Brown Series 2 Daimler/Jag on eBay but as it's some distance away I think this one will sadly pass by until I see one pop up more locally to Heathrow.
Cheers
Chris.
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Newbie without a Jag
This XJ40 was only posted in Barons new listing yesterday:
http://www.barons-auctions.com/auction_ ... 2&cid=1996
And the auction's starts in ½ hour
But if you're reading this in time 'phone them to register as a telephone bidder
It might not go, so call them anyway if you're interested?
Seems nice from low mileage & description. There's a couple of Daimler Sovs there too on their listing
http://www.barons-auctions.com/auction_ ... 2&cid=1996
And the auction's starts in ½ hour
But if you're reading this in time 'phone them to register as a telephone bidder
It might not go, so call them anyway if you're interested?
Seems nice from low mileage & description. There's a couple of Daimler Sovs there too on their listing
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: Newbie without a Jag
My advice is to look at as many as you can before you decide - take your time and don't rush. I reckon the auctions are a good place to start - you can view without a seller hanging over your shoulder and you get a good idea as to price as well. Before I bought my series 1, I looked at more than I care to remember but that one just "clicked" for me.
If you are not comfortable assessing the "technical" side yourself, take a knowledgeable friend along - or the club can put you in touch with someone who will carry out a pre-purchase inspection and report (for a fee).
Good luck!!
Robbie
If you are not comfortable assessing the "technical" side yourself, take a knowledgeable friend along - or the club can put you in touch with someone who will carry out a pre-purchase inspection and report (for a fee).
Good luck!!
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests