New Battery

Moderator:LJR

User avatar
Tintin

Member
Posts:561
Joined:Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 am
New Battery

Postby Tintin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 pm

I am looking for a replacement battery for my 4.2 series 1. Does anyone have any recommendations for one that will a) fit the tray and bracket b) provide suitable capacity and c) have the correct terminals the right way round.

Thanks.

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: New Battery

Postby RichardSEL » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:28 am

AFAIK the 096 series should suit according to all the sites I've seen
Best prices are an eBay seller for the Bosch S5008 at about £78 delivered
A five year warranty -- had one for my Passat (now sold) that was still going well at six years
So fitted another to my XJ8 Sport recently

What do you mean about "c) have the correct terminals the right way round."?
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

User avatar
Tintin

Member
Posts:561
Joined:Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 am

Re: New Battery

Postby Tintin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks Richard, that's helpful.
What do you mean about "c) have the correct terminals the right way round."?
Terminal post positions on the battery case vary dependent on type - my present battery has the posts to the rear with positive on the LHS and disconnection is therefore difficult being so close to the bulkhead. I would prefer posts at the front (with positive on the LHS).

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

User avatar
Tintin

Member
Posts:561
Joined:Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 am

Re: New Battery

Postby Tintin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:38 am

Well, after a lot of looking at many different manufacturers I've drawn a blank. I can get the required 60Ah, the correct battery terminal orientation (positive front left) and the correct (more or less) size. The problem is the securing bracket which requires a 15mm continuous and clear "ledge" all round the battery top against which the inverted "L" section rectangular securing ring sits.

It looks like I will have to modify the securing bracket - is that what other S1 owners have done?

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

User avatar
Tintin

Member
Posts:561
Joined:Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 am

Re: New Battery

Postby Tintin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:11 pm

All done - and looking much neater than the previous bodge.

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: New Battery

Postby mike020150 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:41 am

A few years ago, I had similar problems getting the correct sized battery for my series 2. I too, ended up modifying the top of the holding frame to suit a more modern shaped battery. However, shortly afterwards, I do recall a member writing to say, after much searching he had found a supplier of the original sized batteries. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests