Page 1 of 1

£3k to fix a sticking caliper

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:47 pm
by stevewarbs
OK, so a caliper recon is around £90 but I always do brakes in pairs but if I am doing the back and I have already done the master cylinder then I may as well do the front at the same time.

Recon calipers deserve new disks and pads

Whilst the IRS is out I may as well replace all the bushes, shock and springs

The exhaust will pretty much fall out so a new SS system is on the shopping list

And I really don't want to be crawling around under a car anymore so I have just purchased a four post lift which arrives tomorrow :D :D

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:52 pm
by Brakebuster
Ill be round Saturday morning to use it :mrgreen:


BB

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:28 pm
by stevewarbs
Ill be round Saturday morning to use it :mrgreen:


BB
I think mine might be unmovable without an IRS by then.......

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:24 pm
by oldtimer
Steve,
Well done, I installed my four post lift about twenty years ago . I think I would have given up fettling old cars years ago without it.
I actually store my old XJ upstairs and the S type beneath. It's great to lower it to waist height and use the platform as a work bench.

Mine has wheel free jacks but I have been keeping my eye open for a jacking beam

Worth every penny

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 am
by PaulGover
...
I actually store my old XJ upstairs and the S type beneath. It's great to lower it to waist height and use the platform as a work bench.
...
Waist height? I presume the S type has collapsed suspension :-)

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:12 pm
by oldtimer
Thanks Paul, - It's the way 'e tells em

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:45 pm
by jBlackwell
It seems like Shipwrights disease has caught up with you.

Simply explained on another marques forum. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1573432

It is half the reason my XJ12 is taking so long. As I took each part of the saying was "well while we are here might as well do that bit as well"
:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

James

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:46 pm
by stevewarbs
The lift is in and working so I put the lightest of my cars (Jensen Healey) on it to test under load and whilst it was up there I topped up the gearbox oil which was getting fairly desperate.

Next. I'll get the Landrover in to find out why the clutch isn't engaging properly.

Then I have some modifications to do to the roof

Then the XJ6 can go on and the IRS can come out....

Re: £3k to fix a sticking caliper

Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:46 pm
by stevewarbs
It seems like Shipwrights disease has caught up with you.

Simply explained on another marques forum. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1573432

It is half the reason my XJ12 is taking so long. As I took each part of the saying was "well while we are here might as well do that bit as well"
:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

James
I've looked at the symptoms and I have definately got this disease :roll: