Page 1 of 1

Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:33 am
by jezzaaa
Hi all,

Can you please tell me what this is (inside the red circle)?
Jag 4.2 Engine pic.jpg
My engine doesn't have one. Do I need it? What's it called and what's it for?

Thanks,
J.

Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:44 pm
by mike020150
I think you are talking about the heat transfer pipe from the exhaust to the inlet manifold. It helps mixture and emissions control, especially when the engine is cold. Mike.

Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:50 pm
by jezzaaa
I think you are talking about the heat transfer pipe from the exhaust to the inlet manifold. It helps mixture and emissions control, especially when the engine is cold. Mike.
Hello again Mike :) Are you the only guy on this forum??! ;)

Ok that's cool...so it's something that should be there. I'll need to find one.

Thanks again.

J.

Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:05 pm
by XJ_Driver
I think this was mid-seventies exhaust emissions control requirement. My '73 XJ6 Se.1 doesn't have one of these, although I remember my previous '78 Se.2 model did.

Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:31 pm
by mike020150
LHD versions of series 1 XJs (emissions and non emissions versions) had the same heated inlet air arrangement using a cross over pipe. Mike.

Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:40 pm
by alec2824
I have a1976 4.2 litre Series 2 that has that device fitted.