Hi all,
Can you please tell me what this is (inside the red circle)?
My engine doesn't have one. Do I need it? What's it called and what's it for?
Thanks,
J.
Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers
Moderator:LJR
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers
I think you are talking about the heat transfer pipe from the exhaust to the inlet manifold. It helps mixture and emissions control, especially when the engine is cold. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers
Hello again MikeI think you are talking about the heat transfer pipe from the exhaust to the inlet manifold. It helps mixture and emissions control, especially when the engine is cold. Mike.
Ok that's cool...so it's something that should be there. I'll need to find one.
Thanks again.
J.
Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers
I think this was mid-seventies exhaust emissions control requirement. My '73 XJ6 Se.1 doesn't have one of these, although I remember my previous '78 Se.2 model did.
Best regards,
John.
2003 XJ8 3.5 SE
1979 XJ3.4 Se.2
2005 SAAB 9-5 Vector Sport Estate
John.
2003 XJ8 3.5 SE
1979 XJ3.4 Se.2
2005 SAAB 9-5 Vector Sport Estate
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers
LHD versions of series 1 XJs (emissions and non emissions versions) had the same heated inlet air arrangement using a cross over pipe. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Engine Components - Metal object across the valve covers
I have a1976 4.2 litre Series 2 that has that device fitted.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests