Series 2 light switch
Moderator:LJR
For christmas treated myself to a pair of like new CIBIE IODE 35 at a very good price from Ebay. They were listed as 100E and don't think anyone else really noticed them. Anyway, fitted them and found the wiring under the bonnet. Job done in less than half an hour. However, I can't get them to turn on because my light switch doesn't turn to the 'Fog' setting. The owner's manual says that you push the knob in and turn but mine won't go in or out. Has anyone else got a car not fitted with the extra lamps but a light switch that will press in? My theory is that either I need a different switch or there is something inhibiting the switch from being depressed because my car wasn't originally fitted with the fog lamps.
Daimler Double Six Two Door
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 Petrol
Daimler Double Six Two Door (Sold)
Daimler Six X300 (Sold)
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 Petrol
Daimler Double Six Two Door (Sold)
Daimler Six X300 (Sold)
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Series 2 light switch
Hi Lucas,
There are two switch assemblies listed in the parts book. One was fitted up to car 2F 1076 and second type to later vehicles. Without trawling through the brochures I don't know when front fogs became an option although I'd be surprised if they weren't available from the start of production. The twist and push action of the switch can be quite stiff so is it possible you are simply being too gentle? Mike.
There are two switch assemblies listed in the parts book. One was fitted up to car 2F 1076 and second type to later vehicles. Without trawling through the brochures I don't know when front fogs became an option although I'd be surprised if they weren't available from the start of production. The twist and push action of the switch can be quite stiff so is it possible you are simply being too gentle? Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Series 2 light switch
Thanks for checking that out Mike. 2F1076 was an early 1976 car as that year's production started at 2F1068. The fog lamps were on the original price list from September 1973 through to the final one dated 01.08.1977. I suspect that I may have been too gentle with it but could you tell me at which stage it should be possible to push it in? Is it from a specific one of the 'OFF', 'SIDE' or 'HEAD' positions or any of them?
Daimler Double Six Two Door
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 Petrol
Daimler Double Six Two Door (Sold)
Daimler Six X300 (Sold)
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 Petrol
Daimler Double Six Two Door (Sold)
Daimler Six X300 (Sold)
Re: Series 2 light switch
Hi LJR, Mine is a '73 year model XJ 12. without the fog lights fitted. All the wiring is in place.
From memory ( there's a joke) the fogs are selected by turning the light switch to head , press in and turn. I do believe it was /is illegal to have both heads (choice of 2off dipped or 4 off main) and fogs at the same time. So with the switching arrangement prevented any wrong doing. When fog lights are switched on the Head lights go off.
Nobody in their right mind would want the head lights on in real foggy conditions, we don't seem to get the pea soup fogs of the 1950's any more, thank goodness
My XJ is up on the lift with a car parked beneath, not too easy to pop out and check but will do if needs be
Oldtimer
From memory ( there's a joke) the fogs are selected by turning the light switch to head , press in and turn. I do believe it was /is illegal to have both heads (choice of 2off dipped or 4 off main) and fogs at the same time. So with the switching arrangement prevented any wrong doing. When fog lights are switched on the Head lights go off.
Nobody in their right mind would want the head lights on in real foggy conditions, we don't seem to get the pea soup fogs of the 1950's any more, thank goodness
My XJ is up on the lift with a car parked beneath, not too easy to pop out and check but will do if needs be
Oldtimer
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Series 2 light switch
Like Oldtimer, I had to disturb my series 2's winter slumber to confirm to myself that the switch only pushes in at the headlamp position and then twists to illuminate the fog lamps. The irony is that in 35 years' ownership, I think I've only stopped once by the side of the road in fog to remove the cibie lamp covers in order to use them. Even so, the lamps have corroded gently and I've had to replace the originals at least once during that time! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Series 2 light switch
I've used the palm of my hand to apply pressure to the switch in all three settings but it won't depress. Next step will be to take it apart I think...
Daimler Double Six Two Door
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 Petrol
Daimler Double Six Two Door (Sold)
Daimler Six X300 (Sold)
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 Petrol
Daimler Double Six Two Door (Sold)
Daimler Six X300 (Sold)
Re: Series 2 light switch
Hello Oldtimer,
with a few exceptions, most are horrified that I use main beam in misty/foggy conditions at night. I find that I see hazards earlier than I would on dipped beam, but I had to get used to the reflected glare.
I have never used foglights in my (longish) lifetime, and I cannot accept that low level lamps are any use to anyone except to dazzle oncomers when they are used, often inappropriately as so many seem to do.
Alec
with a few exceptions, most are horrified that I use main beam in misty/foggy conditions at night. I find that I see hazards earlier than I would on dipped beam, but I had to get used to the reflected glare.
I have never used foglights in my (longish) lifetime, and I cannot accept that low level lamps are any use to anyone except to dazzle oncomers when they are used, often inappropriately as so many seem to do.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: Series 2 light switch
Having extracted the switch I found that there was a 'c' clip fitted that inhibited it from being depressed. However, although I can now turn the switch to the 'fog' position the lights don't come on. I've connected the cibie's bullet connector to the yellow/red cable from the loom. Any ideas?
Daimler Double Six Two Door
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 Petrol
Daimler Double Six Two Door (Sold)
Daimler Six X300 (Sold)
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 Petrol
Daimler Double Six Two Door (Sold)
Daimler Six X300 (Sold)
Re: Series 2 light switch
Hi LJR,
Your thread comprises of two parts, lets deal with part one - the switch.
I have never had need to take a light switch apart so I am intrigued to know more about the "C" clip that you have removed. The parts book does not offer any clues in terms of alternatives with or without this restricting "C" clip, however it is listed as a safety critical item. This sort of clip is sometimes used to keep assemblies together so I would appreciate some enlightenment because I would not like to see the removal of the clip develop into a mishap.
My wiring diagram recognises the Red with Yellow tracer as the spot light feed to which you refer. It confuses me in that the wiring is in place for these lights but is, according to you obstructed from use by this C clip .
Although fog lights were an optional extra and the with the required wiring in place ( as is mine) I find it a bit extreme even by Jaguar standards to put this obstructing clip in place that would need to be removed during the fitment of fog lights at a later stage.
There are ten fuses protecting the lighting circuits. The lighting switch has five connections
these are numbered on the back of the switch
1 Brown- colour code N (direct supply - no fuse -from Battery)
2 Red Orange- colour code RO - goes to Fuse 9 R/H Side lights
3 Red Slate - colour code RS - goes to fuse 8 L/H Side lights
4 Blue - colour code U - goes to Main / Dip head light relay
5 Red Yellow - colour code RY - goes to Fuse 1 to fog lights
Using a Volt meter / multi meter or small bulb with two wires connected to check lighting switch
The lights are not ignition switch controlled, connect the test bulb / meter to connection five and connect the other wire to any earth point and turn switch to fog - test bulb should illuminate.
To check fog light circuit take a feed from the Battery directly and connect to the RY wire at the connection that would normally connect to Terminal 5 of the light switch - both fog lights should illuminate. If lights fail to illuminate check earths and No1 fuse.
I hope that helps - come back if you need more - tell us about the C clip
Oldtimer
PS. Have you got a wiring diagram ?
Your thread comprises of two parts, lets deal with part one - the switch.
I have never had need to take a light switch apart so I am intrigued to know more about the "C" clip that you have removed. The parts book does not offer any clues in terms of alternatives with or without this restricting "C" clip, however it is listed as a safety critical item. This sort of clip is sometimes used to keep assemblies together so I would appreciate some enlightenment because I would not like to see the removal of the clip develop into a mishap.
My wiring diagram recognises the Red with Yellow tracer as the spot light feed to which you refer. It confuses me in that the wiring is in place for these lights but is, according to you obstructed from use by this C clip .
Although fog lights were an optional extra and the with the required wiring in place ( as is mine) I find it a bit extreme even by Jaguar standards to put this obstructing clip in place that would need to be removed during the fitment of fog lights at a later stage.
There are ten fuses protecting the lighting circuits. The lighting switch has five connections
these are numbered on the back of the switch
1 Brown- colour code N (direct supply - no fuse -from Battery)
2 Red Orange- colour code RO - goes to Fuse 9 R/H Side lights
3 Red Slate - colour code RS - goes to fuse 8 L/H Side lights
4 Blue - colour code U - goes to Main / Dip head light relay
5 Red Yellow - colour code RY - goes to Fuse 1 to fog lights
Using a Volt meter / multi meter or small bulb with two wires connected to check lighting switch
The lights are not ignition switch controlled, connect the test bulb / meter to connection five and connect the other wire to any earth point and turn switch to fog - test bulb should illuminate.
To check fog light circuit take a feed from the Battery directly and connect to the RY wire at the connection that would normally connect to Terminal 5 of the light switch - both fog lights should illuminate. If lights fail to illuminate check earths and No1 fuse.
I hope that helps - come back if you need more - tell us about the C clip
Oldtimer
PS. Have you got a wiring diagram ?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests