And I forgot to say I have got confirmation from the insurer in writing.Thanks for that Mike, it backs up my own research which is always welcome to confirm you have got our sums right. I also spoke to Hankook technical this morning and they advised that the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation fitment guide lists 6.5" as the ideal rim size with 6" to 7" being acceptable which again fits with what you say above.I have no experience of fitting 215/65 x15 tyres to an XJ so I can't comment on how they would perform or feel in operation. Nevertheless, my old Michelin data book (a trade tyre bible!) lists the ideal and minimum permissible rim widths for this size as 6.5" and 6.0" respectively.
Similarly, my bible gives the rolling circumference as 2020mm for 215/65x15 tyres (coincidentally, the same as a 195/70x15) and 2029mm for a Michelin 205/70x15. It's fair to point out that even within a tyre manufacturer's own range of tyres, any given nominal tyre size will have different rolling radii for different applications, dependent upon tread depth and sidewall flexibility. So, a 205/70x15 4x4 tyre is likely to have a different rolling radius from a 205/70x15 ordinary car tyre and so on. A 9mm difference would easily fall within such a range of rolling radii for the same size tyre.
In view of insurance companies' tendencies to reject claims for modified cars, it would be wise to get written proof of their happiness with any change from the standard specification of tyre Jaguar fitted originally. Mike.
On that basis, I have ordered 4 tyres for £328 and can afford the new stainless steel exhaust from SNG with the savings
Tyre Choice
Moderator:LJR
- stevewarbs
- Posts:38
- Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey
Re: Tyre Choice
I have had Hankook before and was very happy with them, so if the size and rating is OK, well done Steve!
Looking up the Hankook just now it seems they do produce a 205 70 15. I would be interested to know why you didn't go for those?
The tyres that came off my car are Bridgstone Dueller H/T 684 size 205 70 15 96T and H with 6mm-7mm tread left. They are circa 2007 but show no signs of cracking/age. If anyone wants them let me now.
Robbie
Looking up the Hankook just now it seems they do produce a 205 70 15. I would be interested to know why you didn't go for those?
The tyres that came off my car are Bridgstone Dueller H/T 684 size 205 70 15 96T and H with 6mm-7mm tread left. They are circa 2007 but show no signs of cracking/age. If anyone wants them let me now.
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
- stevewarbs
- Posts:38
- Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm
Re: Tyre Choice
Hi Robbie
The 205/70 15 options are a van tyre a 4x4 tyre and a winter tyre and they would ruin the ride of the car. Conti do a 205/70/15 for a 4x4 and being a Conti fan I spoke to their technical people and they said it definitely wouldn't work on the car.
So it's been a lot of reading to get to this point. I don't use budget tyres but couldn't justify spending more on tyres for 2,000 dry miles a year in the Jag than on SWMBO 20,000+ mile a year Evoque (which is now just needing a set as well) and with the Hankooks now being OEM on some Volkswagon models I though I would give them a go.
Once fitted if anyone wants to come and try them (near Rugby in Warwickshire) they they would be welcome
The 205/70 15 options are a van tyre a 4x4 tyre and a winter tyre and they would ruin the ride of the car. Conti do a 205/70/15 for a 4x4 and being a Conti fan I spoke to their technical people and they said it definitely wouldn't work on the car.
So it's been a lot of reading to get to this point. I don't use budget tyres but couldn't justify spending more on tyres for 2,000 dry miles a year in the Jag than on SWMBO 20,000+ mile a year Evoque (which is now just needing a set as well) and with the Hankooks now being OEM on some Volkswagon models I though I would give them a go.
Once fitted if anyone wants to come and try them (near Rugby in Warwickshire) they they would be welcome
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey
Re: Tyre Choice
Tell you what, Steve, and as you are in Warks, why don't we meet up at one of the Gaydon breakfast mornings come the summer and we can compare tyres (and other things). I suspect Old Timer will be up for that too. I'll PM you later.
Robbie
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Tyre Choice
Thanks to all, Some extremely useful in information which I am sure many of us will benefit from.
- stevewarbs
- Posts:38
- Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm
Re: Tyre Choice
Would love to Robbie, I am hoping to be there on Sunday if the weather is kind. I am only about 15 minutes from Gaydon so it is a regular hauntTell you what, Steve, and as you are in Warks, why don't we meet up at one of the Gaydon breakfast mornings come the summer and we can compare tyres (and other things). I suspect Old Timer will be up for that too. I'll PM you later.
Robbie
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Tyre Choice
It would be good if, after fitting the new tyres, you could report back on how they feel and their effect on the car's handling/ride. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Tyre Choice
No problem Mike.It would be good if, after fitting the new tyres, you could report back on how they feel and their effect on the car's handling/ride. Mike.
Sorry I will miss you in Sunday Steve - I am going up tomorrow (Saturday) for the JEC breakfast meet.
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
- stevewarbs
- Posts:38
- Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm
Re: Tyre Choice
Sorry Robbie, I meant Saturday. If the weather is OK I might see you there. Mine is a Willow Green Series 1 with pretty poor paintwork.No problem Mike.It would be good if, after fitting the new tyres, you could report back on how they feel and their effect on the car's handling/ride. Mike.
Sorry I will miss you in Sunday Steve - I am going up tomorrow (Saturday) for the JEC breakfast meet.
Robbie
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests