Ride quality: Series 1 XJ6 vs. a Series 3 XJ12

Moderator:LJR

DavidEdwards

Member
Posts:21
Joined:Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:49 pm
Ride quality: Series 1 XJ6 vs. a Series 3 XJ12

Postby DavidEdwards » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:36 am

Hello,

I have a general question about the ride quality of a Series 1 XJ6 vs. a Series 3 XJ12.

I have a 1971 4.2 Series 1 that’s in excellent condition and I never cease to be amazed by the quality of the ride compared to any other car that I’ve driven. I’ve recently been looking for a Series 3 XJ12 in the hope that I could enjoy that engine (before it becomes illegal) in a car with an equally good ride and A/C for summer trips abroad.

I’ve just test driven a very low mileage Daimler Double Six and while being impressed by the engine, I was disappointed by the ride quality, with the magic carpet being replaced by a more modern, harsher ride. This car did not have quality tyres fitted and the front shocks had been replaced by Koni’s that seemed a little firm. I’m well aware that tyres and shocks can strongly affect the ride, but my question is whether this explains my disappointment with this car or is it the case that by 1987 Jaguar had altered the suspension for this model to make it a little more sporty in its handling at the expense of the magic carpet?

Many thanks in advance for your time,
Dave Edwards.

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Ride quality: Series 1 XJ6 vs. a Series 3 XJ12

Postby mike020150 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:14 am

Hi Dave,

From series 1 to 3, the ride quality was sublime as standard. However, modern cars roll less and turn in sharper due to firmer springs and damping and that's what some people prefer their series cars to emulate. Hence, stiffer shockers like Konis, harder springs and polybushes are often fitted to Series XJs which can compromise the ride. One particular issue with Konis is the degree of difficulty associated with changing the settings. Konis have to be taken off the car to make adjustments. Consequently, it's easy to make the mistake of screwing them up hard, fitting them and then finding you haven't the time or inclination to readjust them. If you were to buy the Double Six, adjusting the Konis would likely restore the magic carpet ride. Similarly, check the tyre pressures being used. Jaguar's recommended range spanned 10psi which can also have a dramatic effect on ride quality. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

DavidEdwards

Member
Posts:21
Joined:Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Ride quality: Series 1 XJ6 vs. a Series 3 XJ12

Postby DavidEdwards » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Thank you Mike for your sage words. Having been reassured, I shall continue the hunt.

Dave.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest