Abnormal Ignition Light

Moderator:LJR

User avatar
NATONEIL

Member
Posts:376
Joined:Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:17 am
Location:Bourne Lincolnshire
Abnormal Ignition Light

Postby NATONEIL » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:45 pm

My car has a Lucas 18ACR alternator. When I switch off the ignition the ignition light burns. It goes out when I switch on the ignition. With the engine running it is out and I can see I am getting a small charge, but with the headlights on I get a discharge.

Is this an alternator issue or should I look somewhere else first before I change the alternator

Neil

User avatar
almcl

Member
Posts:775
Joined:Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:56 pm
Location:Shropshire

Re: Abnormal Ignition Light

Postby almcl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:50 am

Most likely cause is a failed diode in the alternator. A replacement should fix both problems.
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests