Keeping catalitic converters clean. Product in a bottle.

Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent
Keeping catalitic converters clean. Product in a bottle.

Postby J44EAG » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:41 pm

As a car ages, problems with high emission levels and persistent fault codes can occur. Code P0240 is one such code that indicates that a converter has failed, is blocked or is otherwise in trouble. This can lead to an MOT failure and often advice would suggest replacement of one or more converters at high cost. However, there is a product available which claims to be able to clean out converters and make them fit for further service. Sounds too good to be true....

To date I`ve never had a car fail due to an emissions problem. At my last MOT, emissions were more than acceptable and that is the way I intend it to stay. Wondering about how I might help that situation I stumbled across an American product called Cataclean. Not cheap at around £15 for 500ml delivered on ebay but if it does what it say son the box, it isn`t that expensive either. With an MOT due on Tuesday, I was keen to ensure my emissions were as low as possible and certainly not on the increase from last year. Dumping a bottle of this potion into the tank was worth a trial.

The product is added to the car fuel and the car is driven for around fifteen minutes to allow carbon within the converter to be softened and burnt out. It can be used as part of annual preventative maintenance or used to try to clear a converter that has set off a P0240 fault code. I`m always rather sceptical about claims made about magic products that offer wild and instant improvement. However, I bought the product and added it to a quarter of a tank of super unleaded in J44.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181124910900? ... EBIDX%3AIT

So what happened? I have to say I was somewhat taken aback. In heavy traffic I drove quietly to Gosport, collected some parts and began the return journey. I began to notice how much easier the transmission shifted up from first to second gear and then third gear engaged sooner than usual. I was well pleased and suspected a little more torque was being produced. Normally I help the change by lifting the throttle slightly to encourage the first to second change up at low revs. I noted hat I no longer had to perform that action.

Soon after I noted that the engine needed less throttle away from traffic lights. Keen to see what happened when I booted the car, the car roared away, suddenly lost power, produced two loud bangs from the exhaust accompanied by a cloud of black smoke from the exhaust. Power returned but I was somewhat vexed and concerned. My initial reaction was that I might have broken something. All rather strange. Back in the yard, the engine sounded sweeter and more even and nothing appeared out of the ordinary.

Today I did a six mile sprint over to Portsmouth on the M27. Again great gear changes and improved response and acceleration. The trip back really astonished me. There is a steep four lane section between Portsmouth and Fareham and most traffic slows down on the incline. J44 has the grunt and I can use the fourth lane to stay out of the ensuing pandemonium in the slower three lanes. I shot up that incline with great gusto on a rather lighter throttle opening than I`ve been used to. As far as I recall. Paramount modified J44 has never been so rapid and I hope that will stay for quite a while.

So I think this Cataclean has certainly done some significant clean out work and cleared a possible slight blockage which is helping the cats light up quicker and with less restriction to outgoing gas flow.

Tuesday is MOT test day so I`ll report back here regarding any improvement or not with the emissions results. Interesting times with things happening which I definitely didn`t expect!

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

jonjeffryes
Posts:206
Joined:Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Keeping catalitic converters clean. Product in a bottle.

Postby jonjeffryes » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:18 am

Mike, I'm begining to feel like I am stalking you here :shock: the product is also sold in Halfords and the Porsche club have also seen and reported good results. I had planned to use it on my wifes Cooper S as it is a'very' short journey car......but I think I'll use it in the S-type first.

I'm due to tank the car today Nd I will and a bottle to the fuel and see what happens. In view of the other issues at the moment it cannot do any more harm I suppect.

I'll write up the results a little later....assuming I haven't broken anything else on the beast :roll:
Last edited by jonjeffryes on Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Keeping catalitic converters clean. Product in a bottle.

Postby J44EAG » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:21 am

No problem, Jon.

If you get similar results to mine, I think you will be well pleased.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Keeping catalitic converters clean. Product in a bottle.

Postby J44EAG » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Just back from the MOT at Halfords in Gosport.

Great guys and service. No hard sell or silly business and considerable interest shown in the car. All in all, once again a very professional approach to the job done on time and with exceptional courtesy. Highly recommended. I have been using these guys to do my MOT tests for the past five years. Never missed a beat. Booked online, the test fee is just under £30 and in my opinion, iexcellent value.

An easy pass this year with the only advisory being slight crush damage to the rear edge of the inner sill due to grounding because of the lowered springs with which the car is fitted. Very pleased to see the tester doing a proper job on the wishbone bushes and other critical points.

So no further repairs needed in the short term. Yippee. Nothing to do for a while and no mad panic to get the car fixed in cold wet conditions or just before Christmas!

Here are the results of the emission test with last years results in brackets. This year the car had just received the Cataclean treatment and was running on super unleaded fuel.

CO 0.00 (.0.10) Pass - improvement.
HC ppm 1.00 (81) Pass - improvement.
Lamda 1.010 (1.030 Pass -improvement.

As you can see, the engine is running cleaner than last year. Apart from an oil change, nothing else has been done to the engine since the previous test. Any improvements must have surely been due to using Cataclean. Good stuff, or what?

Comments appreciated please.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: Keeping catalitic converters clean. Product in a bottle.

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:28 pm

I tried this product Mike on your recommendation and got the same result as you ie smoother running and lighter throttle use, Good stuff.
However I had a bit left over so I thought I,d try some on our pet moggie with an alarming result!

Only joking.
Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Keeping catalitic converters clean. Product in a bottle.

Postby J44EAG » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:50 pm

You can get prosecuted for blowing the exhaust pipe of a poor old moggie! Sparks from its converter and his fur will fall off!

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest