Hi folks
I have an 4.2 SE S-type. 2004 model year in Pacific Blue. I had squeaky steering and investigated the problem. I was told by an XJR owner that the solution lay in Jaguar technical buliitin JTB00055 dated 24th August 2007. The purchase of an additive ,PAS Squeak/fluid Additive Part number C2S 48887 £4.24 + VAT, is necessary. That's the easy bit. The procedure to add the solution involves removing 50ml, via a pipette or syringe, of PAS fluid from the reservoir having first removed the filter. The filter is tricky and sourcing a Pipette is a pain. I opted to get my friendly Independent, B&W in Capehhurst, to do it all. The fluid had to be at 100c +/- 5c and much twirling of the wheel is involved. My technician also removed the steering wheel cowling and lubricated with the indispensible WD40. Two days and 50 miles later the squeaky wheel is silent. I would recommend giving the job to a technician with the correct tools at hand. This fix also applies to XJ VIN G00442 Onwards/model year 2004 onwards and X-types VIN C00294 model year 2002 onwards. Apllies to S-type from VIN M45255/model year 2003 onwards.
Squeaky Steering??
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
-
latebreaker

- Posts:94
- Joined:Sat May 19, 2012 2:10 pm
- Location:Warwickshire
Re: Squeaky Steering??
Mike,
I have a 'squeaky' steering when I turn the steering wheel when the car is stationary...is this normal & if not would this additive cure it?
I can't hear the noise when inside the car, but can hear it when the windows are open and the wheel is turned when vehicle is stationary.
Krish
I have a 'squeaky' steering when I turn the steering wheel when the car is stationary...is this normal & if not would this additive cure it?
I can't hear the noise when inside the car, but can hear it when the windows are open and the wheel is turned when vehicle is stationary.
Krish
S-Type-R, 2006, Midnight, Charcoal Sport, CD Autochanger, Bluetooth, JaguarVoice and now 19" Barcelona's
Finally a Jaaag Owner, and it feels good
Petrol, The Breakfast of Champions!
It Doesn't Click or Buzz.....It ROARS
Finally a Jaaag Owner, and it feels good
Petrol, The Breakfast of Champions!
It Doesn't Click or Buzz.....It ROARS
Re: Squeaky Steering??
Not had this issue myself...yet, Krish.
The first post above gives some good advice and guidance, I think.
PAS squeaks and groans do occur and if a fix can be effected by adding an additive, then all is well.
Gearboxes can also become similarly noisy. Again the cure would often appear to be possible by having the approved additive installed.
It is also worth examining the serpentine belt for wear. I fitted a new one recently which cured a degree of belt whine and the occasional small squeak heard when the belt was cold and damp and steering load applied when the car was stationary. Worth checking also that the belt is not contaminated with oil or coolant. Again squeaks can be caused by slippage.
Finally, I would be examining belt idler pulleys with the belt taken out of tension. Pulley bearings do wear out and a large degree of significant wear can again frequently be found when the belt is off and the pulley can be moved by hand to check for axial and or radial wear. I have one on J44 which could do with replacement shortly. Whilst not a squeaker it could become one eventually and I need to change it before it causes a problem.
I`d look at the belt first and go the additive route if all else appears sound.
Mike
The first post above gives some good advice and guidance, I think.
PAS squeaks and groans do occur and if a fix can be effected by adding an additive, then all is well.
Gearboxes can also become similarly noisy. Again the cure would often appear to be possible by having the approved additive installed.
It is also worth examining the serpentine belt for wear. I fitted a new one recently which cured a degree of belt whine and the occasional small squeak heard when the belt was cold and damp and steering load applied when the car was stationary. Worth checking also that the belt is not contaminated with oil or coolant. Again squeaks can be caused by slippage.
Finally, I would be examining belt idler pulleys with the belt taken out of tension. Pulley bearings do wear out and a large degree of significant wear can again frequently be found when the belt is off and the pulley can be moved by hand to check for axial and or radial wear. I have one on J44 which could do with replacement shortly. Whilst not a squeaker it could become one eventually and I need to change it before it causes a problem.
I`d look at the belt first and go the additive route if all else appears sound.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
-
latebreaker

- Posts:94
- Joined:Sat May 19, 2012 2:10 pm
- Location:Warwickshire
Re: Squeaky Steering??
Another piece of helpful advice, I'll let you know how I get on Mike
I might also end up asking my independent to have a look at it when the next service is due,
Krish
I might also end up asking my independent to have a look at it when the next service is due,
Krish
S-Type-R, 2006, Midnight, Charcoal Sport, CD Autochanger, Bluetooth, JaguarVoice and now 19" Barcelona's
Finally a Jaaag Owner, and it feels good
Petrol, The Breakfast of Champions!
It Doesn't Click or Buzz.....It ROARS
Finally a Jaaag Owner, and it feels good
Petrol, The Breakfast of Champions!
It Doesn't Click or Buzz.....It ROARS
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
