I am considering getting my 2002 V8 (4.0l) converted to LPG. Main problem appears to be how to get the LPG regulators and the injector rails into sensible places, without ending up with long runs of connecting pipe.
Does anyone have any experience of converting this engine?
LPG Conversion
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
-
philrutter
- Posts:2
- Joined:Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:17 pm
- Location:Bath, Somerset
LPG Conversion - successful!
This thread has been dormant for some months - that's becasue I've been getting some experience of running a LPG conversion.
Firstly, I must express thanks to all those who contacted me with both horror stories, and with tales of runaway success. I now recognise that LPG is a great polariser of opinion - a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it!
My car was converted back in October 2008, and apart from a very slight ticking noise (from the LPG injectors) I cannot tell the difference between running on LPG and running on petrol. The installation was very neatly done by Gaspower UK in Exeter (http://www.gaspoweruk.co.uk), and they have undertaken 2 subsequent "services" the most recent was to do a minor tweak to improve kick-down response.
So, would I recommend LPG - well, it's not for everyone. I do about 12,000 miles a year, mainly motorway, and I think it's great. I get about 25mpg on LPG, but the nice part is only having to pay 50p a litre to fill up. If I only did a very small mileage, I'd be less attracted to LPG, if only because you have to accept that there are some downsides - I no longer have a spare wheel, LPG pumps are sometimes in the most obscure places, it's a bit more fiddly to fill up with LPG than with petrol. Other than that, it's great.
Firstly, I must express thanks to all those who contacted me with both horror stories, and with tales of runaway success. I now recognise that LPG is a great polariser of opinion - a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it!
My car was converted back in October 2008, and apart from a very slight ticking noise (from the LPG injectors) I cannot tell the difference between running on LPG and running on petrol. The installation was very neatly done by Gaspower UK in Exeter (http://www.gaspoweruk.co.uk), and they have undertaken 2 subsequent "services" the most recent was to do a minor tweak to improve kick-down response.
So, would I recommend LPG - well, it's not for everyone. I do about 12,000 miles a year, mainly motorway, and I think it's great. I get about 25mpg on LPG, but the nice part is only having to pay 50p a litre to fill up. If I only did a very small mileage, I'd be less attracted to LPG, if only because you have to accept that there are some downsides - I no longer have a spare wheel, LPG pumps are sometimes in the most obscure places, it's a bit more fiddly to fill up with LPG than with petrol. Other than that, it's great.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest