S Type R Rescue
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:16 pm
I will try to document here how I am trying to rescue my S Type R from it's rust problem. Earlier this year it failed the MOT because of rusty sills, but having investigated further it was more than just the sills that have rusted. My initial reaction was that I could not personally save this car Another S Type Bites the Rust?. However, after thinking further I couldn't come up with a suitable replacement car. The S Type R is reasonably fast (I think you get used to the speed of any given vehicle), very comfortable and a designed I'd liked since launch. Everyone who has been in the car comments on how comfortable it is too.
I offered the car for sale as a project, 2002 S Type R Project For Sale and did have some interest, but in the end I was reluctant to part with the car and doubt I would have received what I feel it would be worth, even as a parts car. Therefore I have been making some slow progress to uncover the extent of the rust and work out just how I can repair it.
I have a rough gallery of photos of my S Type R which contains many of the photos I have throughout my ownership, including all those I have taken showing the work I am carrying out.
The initial inspection of the problems is documented in Another S Type Bites the Rust?. I soon removed the plastic sill cover on the near side to see that the rust was along the entire sill, including sections of structural bodywork. To better determine the extent of the rust part of the outer sill was removed by way of angle grinder. View larger image
This shows that the inner sill is rusting and would also need to be cut out. There are at least 3 different sections of metal joining to make the sill, so this will be quite a complex repair.
[url=https://cloud.h4-turbo.co.uk/index.php/ ... 120757.jpg]
Before welding any metal in I was determined to ensure I wouldn't be damaging anything on the hidden side of the panels. A friend managed to badly damage wiring loom in his Land Rover while welding, so I was determined to learn from his mistake. Therefore I needed to start removing interior.
Removing the rear seats was actually quite easy. I was impressed with how well attached they were, but also the ease with which they could be removed. My main comparison was with a 1990 Fiesta RS Turbo that I stripped to a body shell for use in a kit car. My favourite parts were the clips that hold the front edge of the rear seats. Simple and effective. Removing the interior isn't that difficult. You need to be patient, take your time and make you you know where everything goes, as there are a lot of interior parts. At this stage I have removed all interior parts from the passenger cabin that mounts to the floor, expect the main centre console. All relatively easy, except the front seats are bolted to the floor using E-Torx bolts, so I had to buy some new tools to suit. If you need to remove the front seats you may be able to purchase an E12 socket or spanner. More to follow...
Regards,
Steve
I offered the car for sale as a project, 2002 S Type R Project For Sale and did have some interest, but in the end I was reluctant to part with the car and doubt I would have received what I feel it would be worth, even as a parts car. Therefore I have been making some slow progress to uncover the extent of the rust and work out just how I can repair it.
I have a rough gallery of photos of my S Type R which contains many of the photos I have throughout my ownership, including all those I have taken showing the work I am carrying out.
The initial inspection of the problems is documented in Another S Type Bites the Rust?. I soon removed the plastic sill cover on the near side to see that the rust was along the entire sill, including sections of structural bodywork. To better determine the extent of the rust part of the outer sill was removed by way of angle grinder. View larger image
This shows that the inner sill is rusting and would also need to be cut out. There are at least 3 different sections of metal joining to make the sill, so this will be quite a complex repair.
[url=https://cloud.h4-turbo.co.uk/index.php/ ... 120757.jpg]
Before welding any metal in I was determined to ensure I wouldn't be damaging anything on the hidden side of the panels. A friend managed to badly damage wiring loom in his Land Rover while welding, so I was determined to learn from his mistake. Therefore I needed to start removing interior.
Removing the rear seats was actually quite easy. I was impressed with how well attached they were, but also the ease with which they could be removed. My main comparison was with a 1990 Fiesta RS Turbo that I stripped to a body shell for use in a kit car. My favourite parts were the clips that hold the front edge of the rear seats. Simple and effective. Removing the interior isn't that difficult. You need to be patient, take your time and make you you know where everything goes, as there are a lot of interior parts. At this stage I have removed all interior parts from the passenger cabin that mounts to the floor, expect the main centre console. All relatively easy, except the front seats are bolted to the floor using E-Torx bolts, so I had to buy some new tools to suit. If you need to remove the front seats you may be able to purchase an E12 socket or spanner. More to follow...
Regards,
Steve