The drivers window makes a mild graunching sound when operating and occassionally sticks in position. any advice please.
MH
Drivers window
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
Best to have the door panel off for investigation. Don`t forget to take the two small screws out under the rubber mat in the internal door pull area.
Pull the panel from the bottom edge then work your way up the sides. Lift the panel upwards and away from the door. Slip the door handle through the body panel card and disconnect the plugs.
I suspect you may find the internal lifting cable frayed and wrapped around the pulley. That would would explain the noises and sticking operation. The beginning of the end!!
The motor from the scissors will be re usable on a new mechanism. About £100 ex Jaguar. Don`t bother with secondhand. The mechanism is a notorious fail item. If you look at your magazine back numbers, I wrote a short piece about a re ferb kit from e-crofting on the net. New lift wires and connector piece for around £26. Regret having not used the kit, quality and ease of fitment is unknown.
The secret with these winder mechanisms is to frequently lube the frame rubbers with rubber grease or other suitable product. If the seals dry out, friction between the seal and glass increases. Net result, a strained cable and link which then breaks. Stitch in time job here.
Also NEVER slam the rear doors with windows down. That will break a weak section of the winder mechanism. Repair parts not available.
I`ve a couple of pics of your car taken at the S-type Seminar. If you ping me your e-mail address, I`ll dig the pics out for you.
Sorry I can`t help with your speaker problem. Think you need a radio technician to advise. Can anyone else assist with that problem..
Hope this helps, Mike.
Mike
Pull the panel from the bottom edge then work your way up the sides. Lift the panel upwards and away from the door. Slip the door handle through the body panel card and disconnect the plugs.
I suspect you may find the internal lifting cable frayed and wrapped around the pulley. That would would explain the noises and sticking operation. The beginning of the end!!
The motor from the scissors will be re usable on a new mechanism. About £100 ex Jaguar. Don`t bother with secondhand. The mechanism is a notorious fail item. If you look at your magazine back numbers, I wrote a short piece about a re ferb kit from e-crofting on the net. New lift wires and connector piece for around £26. Regret having not used the kit, quality and ease of fitment is unknown.
The secret with these winder mechanisms is to frequently lube the frame rubbers with rubber grease or other suitable product. If the seals dry out, friction between the seal and glass increases. Net result, a strained cable and link which then breaks. Stitch in time job here.
Also NEVER slam the rear doors with windows down. That will break a weak section of the winder mechanism. Repair parts not available.
I`ve a couple of pics of your car taken at the S-type Seminar. If you ping me your e-mail address, I`ll dig the pics out for you.
Sorry I can`t help with your speaker problem. Think you need a radio technician to advise. Can anyone else assist with that problem..
Hope this helps, Mike.
Mike
Drivers window
Mike
Thanks for your prompt reply, i will investigate and get back to you also i would love the pictures of the car the email address is oakeburycottage@msn.com.
Best Regards
Mike H
Thanks for your prompt reply, i will investigate and get back to you also i would love the pictures of the car the email address is oakeburycottage@msn.com.
Best Regards
Mike H
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
