Battery Leads

Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport
Battery Leads

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:37 pm

As I have mentioned in previous post,s electrics are not my strongest point but I read with interest in this months mag Andy Carruthers article on X Type electrics. Especially the part about disconnecting both battery leads and touching them together to clear problems.

Would this procedure work on my 2004 S Type, as I have on start up for a split second a warning light and message saying ABS fault, when I know the system is working correctly. I have changed the brake pads in the past and this could be why the indication has occurred.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Battery Leads

Postby J44EAG » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:25 pm

In ten years of S-type ownership. I`ve never touched the two leads together to clear a fault code although I have heard it said that this method can work. Just disconnecting the +Ve terminal for twenty minutes will do what is known as a "hard dump" and should clear any old fault codes.

In my experience the spurious DSC code comes up sometimes if a battery is weak after a start up. This can cause the diagnostic facility within the car not to complete correctly and strangely the light comes on. If you then run the car for a few minutes to give the battery a half decent surface charge, stop the car and restart again, you will often find the light goes out on its own accord. Clever, eh? This odd side effect of low battery condition is a well known one on our BB network and does not just affect S-types.

The electronic architecture did change slightly on the pre-facelift models onwards so perhaps the flash of the light might be part of the design. If the light goes out and stays out, you probably don`t have a problem.

Relining the brakes should not have changed anything by way of DSC parameters even though there is the so called electronic handbrake tacked onto the braking system.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: Battery Leads

Postby jeff1954 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks for that Mike. Do you think it would do any harm if I tried it.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Battery Leads

Postby J44EAG » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:15 pm

I don`t see the point of taking the risk. Touching -Ve and +Ve leads together creates a risk if residual voltage is stored in high tech components which may have inbuilt capacitance remaining. It goes against the grain for me. Try it if you like but if something then goes pop, you have another problem....self inflicted.

Why not just disconnect the +Ve lead for twenty minutes? This is a known and tried method of clearing codes.and stay safe.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Battery Leads

Postby oldtimer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Jeff,
It could be possible that you take out one or more micro processors ,that would really make your day

User avatar
Montana5
Posts:572
Joined:Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm
Location:Glasgow

Re: Battery Leads

Postby Montana5 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:27 am

This method of hard reset is done all the time by Jaguar Owners and is perfectly safe, it is like resetting all the variables back to default settings, as they would have left the factory, many people claim their Cars run better after a reset. You will need to reset the Radio, Seats and Door Mirrors etc afterwards.

(When I worked in the Telecomms industry we used this method of reset when fitting new software to the various Power & Battery Systems, this insured a clean memory wipe before loading the new adaptations)

Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: Battery Leads

Postby jeff1954 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi Doug Have you done this procedure on your car?

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

User avatar
Montana5
Posts:572
Joined:Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm
Location:Glasgow

Re: Battery Leads

Postby Montana5 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:45 am

Not had the occasion to do the reset on my own Car yet Jeff, though when the time comes I won't have any hesitation in doing it.
If you are still unsure about doing this, why not firstly try a 30 minute total Battery disconect to see if that clears the warning light.

Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: Battery Leads

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:47 pm

It's not that critical that I have to do this as like I say the ABS works fine and the message only comes on as I say for a split second. Also I would not like to compromise the Re Map I had done some years ago by doing doing this procedure which could have the same result as a ECU Re flash.
As I have said before electrics are not my strong point so I will take on board any advice anyone gives me.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: Battery Leads

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Sorry but I forgot to put in my last post that I have done the Neg lead off the battery a few times in the past for other issues but this split second message still persists.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests