Hello all
I have a 2000(w)3.0se auto 105k miles.The problem i have is if i leave the car unlocked ie when washing/hoovering or with doors open it will drain/flaten the battery,if i single lock the car ie press the lock on the key fob once it will drain the battery.If i double lock the car press the lock on the key fob twice it will lock stay locked and not drain the battery. Twice this year the alarm has gone off during the night with lights flashing wipers going at fast speed battery dead unable to start the cat. Any ideas.
Mark.
Locking System
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
Hello Mark,
It is well known that door lock solenoids burn out and case a short circuit which will drain the battery very quickly. I suspect probably only one is playing up, but the question is, which one?!
A solenoid which is duff will get hot when shorted. the most obvious one is the drivers door which gets most use. However this may not be the case. I am unsure if an Autologic interogation unit used by indipendent Jaguar specialists can pin point which lock solenoild is defective. A quick phone call to a specialist may answer the question. Otherwise is is a case of selectively removing each door panel in turn, locking the car and putting a hand on each door solenoid it turn to see if one of them gets hot. A long and tedious process.
For the time being, it would probably be a good idea to pull a fuse on the door lock circuit and diable the power to the door lock system. At least then you will be able to use the car without fear of a discharged battery until you tackle the job yourself of sub it out to someone else.
The S-type does strange things when the battery gets discharged. Door locks cycle, the horn sounds and headlights flash. I found this out when I had a dying battery and had used the CD player all day at Southern Day last year. The symptoms you discribe are normal when the battery gets low.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. My details in the S-type Forum pages of the magazine.
Please come back to this section of the Forum BB when you have fixed the car. It would be useful for members to know how you overcame the problem.
Kind regards.
Mike kennedy. JEC. S-type Forum Co-ordinator.
It is well known that door lock solenoids burn out and case a short circuit which will drain the battery very quickly. I suspect probably only one is playing up, but the question is, which one?!
A solenoid which is duff will get hot when shorted. the most obvious one is the drivers door which gets most use. However this may not be the case. I am unsure if an Autologic interogation unit used by indipendent Jaguar specialists can pin point which lock solenoild is defective. A quick phone call to a specialist may answer the question. Otherwise is is a case of selectively removing each door panel in turn, locking the car and putting a hand on each door solenoid it turn to see if one of them gets hot. A long and tedious process.
For the time being, it would probably be a good idea to pull a fuse on the door lock circuit and diable the power to the door lock system. At least then you will be able to use the car without fear of a discharged battery until you tackle the job yourself of sub it out to someone else.
The S-type does strange things when the battery gets discharged. Door locks cycle, the horn sounds and headlights flash. I found this out when I had a dying battery and had used the CD player all day at Southern Day last year. The symptoms you discribe are normal when the battery gets low.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. My details in the S-type Forum pages of the magazine.
Please come back to this section of the Forum BB when you have fixed the car. It would be useful for members to know how you overcame the problem.
Kind regards.
Mike kennedy. JEC. S-type Forum Co-ordinator.
-
MARK200870
- Posts:4
- Joined:Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:27 am
locking system
Thanks Mike
The problem may be the o/s rear door as some times when locked this door remains unlocked as i found out one night when some little s--t tried to nick the car from my driveway.
I will post the repair ansewer when it gets repaired.
Thanks again
Mark
The car can be viewed at www.the-classic-collection.co.uk
The problem may be the o/s rear door as some times when locked this door remains unlocked as i found out one night when some little s--t tried to nick the car from my driveway.
I will post the repair ansewer when it gets repaired.
Thanks again
Mark
The car can be viewed at www.the-classic-collection.co.uk
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
