Reversing Camera

Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5

User avatar
SteveKK

Member
Posts:61
Joined:Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:27 pm
Location:Surrey
Contact:
Reversing Camera

Postby SteveKK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:45 pm

Having fitted an after market double DIN stereo to my S Type I have now purchased a matching reversing camera to go with it. The stereo needs a positive signal when reverse gear is engaged, so it can change the display. The usual way is to tap into the reversing light positive feed, but I was hoping that there might be a wire in the dashboard area that I could use instead. This would save a long cable run inside the car.

I have looked over wiring diagrams for the car, but couldn't see anything. I'm hoping someone on here might have already done this.

Failing that I will probably find the wire that goes positive for the reversing sensors, since these are not fitted to the car. Hopefully the signals go to the wires even though the module is not there.

Regards,
Steve
2002 S-Type R, Black, 18" Zeus Alloys

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Reversing Camera

Postby J44EAG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Hello Steve,

No doubt Doug will have some thoughts on this and will see your post shortly.

Sound an interesting project. A few images of around 1.5Mb each and a Word text document script might make a very useful article for the magazine.

Let us know more as the installation takes place.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
Montana5
Posts:572
Joined:Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm
Location:Glasgow

Re: Reversing Camera

Postby Montana5 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:20 pm

Not done it, but the main problem you will have is that the Jaguar DC system is Negative switched. I recall reading about someone who fitted a Reverse Camera into the existing Sat Nav Touch Screen, but because the Reversing Lights were Neg switched, rather than going to the bother of fitting a Relay to obtain a switched Positive, he simply fitted a push button on/off switch at the Dash. Not sure picking up a feed from the new Stereo unit and passing it through an on/off Switch would work with yours...or would it.
I seem to remember also someone else used the reversing lights, but the picture flikered so bad he had to disconnect it, seems that the Reversing Sensors were interfering with the signal to the screen.

Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator

User avatar
SteveKK

Member
Posts:61
Joined:Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:27 pm
Location:Surrey
Contact:

Re: Reversing Camera

Postby SteveKK » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks Doug. I'll have to double check the signals with my multimeter before making final decisions.

Regards,
Steve
2002 S-Type R, Black, 18" Zeus Alloys

User avatar
duncanwoolgar

Member
Posts:11
Joined:Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:05 pm
Location:Ford West Sussex
Contact:

Re: Reversing Camera

Postby duncanwoolgar » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Hi Steve.
I am about to attempt the same project on my 2000 s-type manual.
I have purchased a JVC KW-V235DBT head unit and pioneer camera. Which unit have you got? I believe the camera gets its positive and negative power from the head unit and the head unit has a wire coming from it for switched live. If you do not connect this wire I think the camera can be turned on and off direct from the head unit. Due to the negative switching wiring system on the s-type I may well be resorting to turning it on and off manually when required.
When fitting the head unit I had to trim some plastic lugs off the top off the coin tray so that the double din stereo fits quite neatly in the existing space without the new unit supplied supplementary cage. I am currently still experimenting with it having purchased a second hand centre console unit, when all is good hopefully I can swap the original with the new.
I fitted a DAB roof aerial to the rear of the car last year which has been successful, it looks fine and provides better signal than the old rear window. Wires fed overtop of the roof lining. I will post again when I have news. Please do not hesitate to contact me to compare notes if needed. Duncan

User avatar
SteveKK

Member
Posts:61
Joined:Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:27 pm
Location:Surrey
Contact:

Re: Reversing Camera

Postby SteveKK » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Duncan,
I've got a Pioneer ND-BC8 camera and yes, it works like you suggest. (Well the instructions say that!)

My Poineer head units ( I have Poineers in both the Jag and my van - Mondeo Estate) both provide the power etc to the camera and as you said, I need to find a switched live to change the mode on the head unit. If I can't find something suitable I will probably use a relay with the switched earth to provide the live feed that I need.

Regards,
Steve
2002 S-Type R, Black, 18" Zeus Alloys


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests