Solar Battery Charger

Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5

Blueborin
Posts:31
Joined:Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 pm
Solar Battery Charger

Postby Blueborin » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi
I don't use my 2007 S-Type 2.7 diesel on a regular basis and have noticed that the battery needs recharging now and then. I want to purchase a solar charger but am not sure if there is a power output socket inside the car (similar to cigarette lighter socket) whereby I can leave it plugged in with the ignition switched off.
I don't really want to have the solar unit connected directly to the battery using crocodile clips.

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks Robin

User avatar
Montana5
Posts:572
Joined:Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm
Location:Glasgow

Re: Solar Battery Charger

Postby Montana5 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:25 pm

Cigarette Lighter is not live all the time, you could buy the C-Tek (or other make) Quick Release plug and socket, wired permanently to the Battery, then simply unplug when not in use. To save disconnecting the Battery completely when fitting, if you get hold of a couple of Nuts the same size as your Battery connecting Bolts and a few washers there should be room to run on the Nuts.

Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator

User avatar
Montana5
Posts:572
Joined:Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm
Location:Glasgow

Re: Solar Battery Charger

Postby Montana5 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:58 am

Another option is to buy the Jaguar Aux Socket Boot Kit. This 12v Socket is always live. Video on how to fit can be had here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmOlceEPAa8

Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator

Blueborin
Posts:31
Joined:Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Re: Solar Battery Charger

Postby Blueborin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:09 am

Doug,

Thanks for your help and advice. The YouTube video is excellent. I'm pretty sure that's the route I'll take. I'm sure others must be suffering like myself and this option will help keep idle batteries well charged.

Robin

Blueborin
Posts:31
Joined:Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Re: Solar Battery Charger

Postby Blueborin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi Doug,

I rang my local Jaguar dealership to order the Auxiliary Power Unit (part no C2A 1403) only to find out that the part is no longer available and has been discontinued. Why Jaguar stopped supplying this part remains a mystery, and would appear short sighted especially with all the additional demand of electrical gadgets now in use today.
I've now arranged with my local garage to fit a 12v outlet socket using the connector as described in the YouTube demo.

Thought it worth noting in case others follow suit.

Thanks again

Robin

User avatar
Montana5
Posts:572
Joined:Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm
Location:Glasgow

Re: Solar Battery Charger

Postby Montana5 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:26 am

Thanks for the update Robin.

Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Solar Battery Charger

Postby J44EAG » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:06 am

I had a word with XJK about C2A 1403. Steve in Parts trawled several of his sources and none have any of these units in stock. Definitely a dead duck as far as this part is concerned. A great shame. I could have made use of one.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

harry45
Posts:1
Joined:Tue May 09, 2017 7:11 am

Re: Solar Battery Charger

Postby harry45 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:22 am

Hi
I don't use my 2007 S-Type 2.7 diesel on a regular basis and have noticed that the battery needs recharging now and then. I want to purchase a solar charger but am not sure if there is a power output socket inside the car (similar to cigarette lighter socket) whereby I can leave it plugged in with the ignition switched off.
I don't really want to have the new residential solar panels unit connected directly to the battery using crocodile clips.

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks Robin
Hello,
You can use clamp rather than crocodile clips for the connection of battery.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests