Retro fit reverse park aid ?

Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5

thomas45
Posts:85
Joined:Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:57 pm
Retro fit reverse park aid ?

Postby thomas45 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:14 am

As some say 'this subject has been done to death' but I am still hoping that someone will tell me which wire goes to the rh reverse lamp, ie what colours is its code. That is on the 2.7 diesel S Type MY 2007. I have looked at it but find it is difficult to be sure. No I wouldnt know about testing wires.
A wiring diagram would be handy but it seems like Haynes couldnt get there head round this one. :mrgreen:
Thomas45

User avatar
Montana5
Posts:572
Joined:Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm
Location:Glasgow

Re: Retro fit reverse park aid ?

Postby Montana5 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:16 am

This is a comprehensive wiring Guide for 2006 onward, you should find what you are looking for here...
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/AutoRep ... 2006on.pdf

(I'll lock your duplicate topic to save any confusion)

Doug
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator

thomas45
Posts:85
Joined:Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Retro fit reverse park aid ?

Postby thomas45 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks very much Doug, thats great ! :D

Martec

Member
Posts:981
Joined:Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:08 pm
Location:North Lincs

Re: Retro fit reverse park aid ?

Postby Martec » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:24 am

Can I suggest a slightly easier way of connecting in aftermarket reverse lights, as I have done this. This refers to a MY2000 car and yours maybe slightly different.

In the boot remove the rear plastic cover that fits over and around the boot lid catch, this allows you to remove the drivers side boot cover (I assume you have already removed the boot floor covering).

The back of the rear light cluster can be seen and it can be up clipped, remove the bulb for the reverse light and switch on the ignition to see if you are getting a bulb out alarm (our didn't).

You will see from the metal traces on the inside of the bulb holder that there are two common power supplied to the lamp unit, but each bulb has its own earth line that goes back to one of the ECU's. trace the steel track back to the lamp holder connection and you have found the operating wire (irespective of colour).

Its a fair bet that the aftermarket reversing unit is positive wire switching so can't be direct wired into the reverse lamp wire.

Using a separate fuse way plus a relay and base you can wire the power feed from the main battery terminal through the fuse, main switched contacts of the relay and on to the Reverse unit.

Branch a line into the reverse lamp return wire and run this through the operating part of the relay (cut the wire and feed it to either side of the relay operating coil).

This will allow power to the reverse unit when you engage reverse gear.

Brian

PS I've taken a picture but the camera battery died, will add later if you wish.
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.

1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated

thomas45
Posts:85
Joined:Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Retro fit reverse park aid ?

Postby thomas45 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Martec, only seeig your post now, anyway, I did try to trace the wire like you said and yes the retro kit is positive activated. I had no idea so in the end I got a local wizard to sort it. He took a while to figure it out but now all is well and working fine. Must take a pic of wiring for future ref.
Thank you ! :D
Thomas45


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest